Sunday, November 28, 2010

Poetry Slam Sunday (7)


Slam Sunday is a new bi-weekly (and sometimes weekly) feature I'm having on my blog, basically every other Sunday I'll share a YouTube clip of awesome spoken poetry that you just can't miss.

Poetry Slam is a competition in which poets recite original work. I love it. Plain and simple, I love the way it combines words, rhythms and performance, the sounds blending together to bring attention to anything and everything. When done well, it has the power to accomplish great things.

**

It was Saturday, and I didn't know what poem I would share with you for this week's feature of PSS. So I turned quickly to YouTube and the first video that I clicked on, I just LOVED. It is amazing and totally speaks to Readers and Teens... us. I will include all the words this time (source: Missouri Scholars Academy**) because she speaks really fast at times and I REALLY don't think you should miss what she is saying. This girl is only sixteen!! I implore you to listen to this, it's amazing.

It's definitely one of my favourites.

Title: Well, Thank You
Poet: Taylor Phillips




When I found out there was going to be a slam,
I went straight to my dorm room, pen in hand
Ready to compose the next grand
Word symphony
To give each audience member a personal epiphany
To write a poem for everyone,

So I had censored before I’d even begun.
In a world where only 25% of adolescents read for fun
Who's going to listen to a 16 year old girl slam
And know enough to give a damn.
I wanna write a poem
that only the worthy can understand

I wanna write a poem for smart people.
For true knowledge comes from your heart people,
For the search for that truth is an art people
For finish what you start people.

I wanna write a poem for gifted kids
Teens with minds like Pringles lids,
Once you pop, the fun don’t stop,
I wanna speak for the cream of the crop

Geniuses of the 21st Century, this is for you

Because you know “Live long and prosper” was first said on Vulcan
And when you solve a rubix cube too slowly,
You don’t stop sulkin' until you win yet another chess match
In 17 moves flat
Or dip a tennis ball in a 3 liter vat of
Liquid nitrogen
Which we all know,
Is atomic #7.

I wanna write a poem for the scholastically driven
Who use their cerebellums to better the world we live in
And who didn’t have to look up cerebellum to know
That they’re seeing this thanks to their occipital lobe.

I wanna be the poet for the know-it-alls
Making metaphors from the trajectory of ping pong balls
Who knows that density is M over V
And the decimal of one third is point repeating three

I wanna write a poem for the literarily inclined
Who turn to Frost and Dickinson to find
The same drama as Desperate Housewives
Who make Styrofoam and saxophones pertain somehow to their lives

For those who say scintillating instead of double-plus-good
And irked instead of irritated
Enthralled instead of fascinated
Proclaimed in lieu of simply “stated”
Deplorable instead of hated
Opaque instead of shaded
The brilliant and jaded
And seldom celebrated for the selves that we’ve created
And the many,
No,
The PLETHORA,
Of lives that they will change.

I wanna write a poem for kids with good grammar.
Who know that if someone asks how you’re doing
How Y-O-U apostrophe R-E doing.
You say WELL, thank you
And can differentiate between whom and who
And lie and lay
And which and that
Who never ask the question “where are you AT?”
Because at’s a preposition, we don’t end sentences like that

I wanna write a poem for the kids at MSA
Who when I say BOOMBA
All yell HEY!
We’re going to rule the freaking world someday

It’s FUN to be brilliant
And schools make it a chore
And I'm not sure quite
Who’s being left behind anymore
So here is a poem for the future of our nation
The future shrinks, doctors and teachers of our nation
And actors and authors
And computer technicians
And judges and journalists
And pediatricians
Moms, dads and musicians

Reading is sexy and don’t you forget it
Mediocrity consumes, but we did not let it.
We’re nerds because we strive
Moving this world forward with our inner drive

So I wrote this poem, from my own fierce pride
For the youth, our world’s future, personified
because it’s scary, but it’s true
The future’s us, you guys






**I did edit a few of the phrases to better correspond with the words she is saying (just like switching words around, etc)

6 comments:

  1. Wow, she is faast! Love her confidence and smart talk. And, I liked that you included the written poem so that I could follow along. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing! That gave me chills! I love the "It's Fun to be brilliant" stanza and the second one too! I seriously LOVE your slam Sundays Audrey!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goshhh!!! This has got to be one of my most faves! Thank you for sharing! And thank you for including the entire poem! Ahh, I cant express enough my love for Poetry Slam Sunday :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is obviously fantastic there was something missing with her though, i didn't get that feeling, those goosebumps that i tend to with your previous videos, maybe it was just me, thanks for sharing , this has to be one of the things i look most forward to on a Sunday, keep it up girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Audrey i found this one its so freaking sweet, i think you'll like it :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig-79j1qsxc&feature=related

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*