Sunday, November 14, 2010

Poetry Slam Sunday (6)


Slam Sunday is a new bi-weekly (and sometimes weekly) feature I'm having on my blog, basically every other Sunday I'll share a YouTube clip of awesome spoken poetry that you just can't miss.

Poetry Slam is a competition in which poets recite original work. I love it. Plain and simple, I love the way it combines words, rhythms and performance, the sounds blending together to bring attention to anything and everything. When done well, it has the power to accomplish great things.

**

I'm thinking of making this more of a three-times-a-month kind of thing because sometimes I find poems too awesome to withhold for two whole weeks! If you saw my last week's post, you would know that today I was going to feature a touching and emotionally heavy poem by Gabrielle Bouliane. However, when I went to search for it, it turns out the uploader had taken down the video so I can't show you (trust me, it was brilliant). If you want to hear it on mp3, email me and i'll send you the file.

Anyways, on twitter Justine from A Bookful of Thoughts sent me a link to a truly funny and cute piece. I loved it immediately, all the elements and metaphors the poet included, so adorably awesome!

And just to let you guys know, if you find any great pieces of Slam Poetry that you'd like me to feature, just tweet/email me and I'll try to do that :) Anything to spread the word of this amazing art.

Poet: Rudy Francisco
Title: Love Poem Medley



I'm gonna be honest.. I'm not really a love poet.
In fact, every time I try to write about love,
my hands cramp
just to show me how painful love can be.
And sometimes my pencils break,
just to prove to me that every now and then
love takes a little more work than you planned

Next Time: TBA

5 comments:

  1. I love it when a poem just makes sense. And when a poet puts words to what I've felt. That's what this poem did for me today. Thanks.

    I'd love to listen to more slam poetry more often. I'd love to hear the poem you wanted to play today but couldn't.

    mrsderaps @ hotmail . com

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, yay! This poem has got to be one of my faves...and I only recently heard about it. It's so amazing, I can't even form the words. Thanks for spreading the word, Audrey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this one. It's just so amazingly perfect. I love Slam Sundays Audrey!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flippin' AWESOME! I've got to get to another slam and soon!

    Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*