Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Green Books Campaign; BR: Follow the Elephant

Plus a CONTEST at the end! =D

by Beryl Young

This review is part of the Green Books campaign.Today 200 bloggers take a stand to support books printed in an eco-friendly manner by simultaneously publishing reviews of 200 books printed on recycled or FSC-certified paper. By turning a spotlight on books printed using eco- friendly paper, we hope to raise the awareness of book buyers and encourage everyone to take the environment into consideration when purchasing books.

The campaign is organized for the second time by Eco-Libris, a green company working to make reading more sustainable. We invite you to join the discussion on "green" books and support books printed in an eco-friendly manner! A full list of participating blogs and links to their reviews is available on Eco-Libris website.

Follow the Elephant is printed on FSC certified paper-- 100% post-consumer waste, totally chlorine and acid free.

And I've got some wonderful circular reasoning for you on why environmentally friendly paper is important to me:

I live in Canada.
Canada has lots of trees.

I like Canada.

Therefore, I like trees.

And if I want to make sure I love Canada in the future, I will be hoping the trees will still be here, so here's to eco-friendly printing paper for those many million pages that hurt many million trees. I hope witht his post and over 200 others, we can help save trees and raise awareness for this fabulous cause.

Summary:
What thirteen-year-old boy wants to travel on a hopeless quest to India with his grandmother? Not Ben Leeson, whose anger about his father's recent death has led him to escape into the isolated world of computer games. But the ticket has already been bought and Ben finds himself in India on a mission to find Gran's long lost pen pal, Shanti. As they search for clues across the huge subcontinent, Ben finds himself strangesly drawn to the magnificent elephants and elephant boy-god Ganesh. in overcoming the challenges of the journey, Ben begins to see that real life can be more exciting than any computer game and that the dark mysteries of India may even help him come to terms with his father's death.
**

My Thoughts

I liked this one, it was a bit different from my usual style because I honestly do prefer YA novels with older narrators (this was from a 13 year old boy's POV) so this was a change. It's very much one of those coming-of-age ones that delivers a good message with an interesting premise. Follow the Elephant is primarily set in India following Ben after a traumatic incident.

The writing was solid except for sometimes I found it difficult staying engaged with everything. It wasn't difficult to put down the book and focus on homework rather than devouring it. The character growth was decent but I think the fact that I had trouble 'connecting' with Ben's character did impede my enjoyment of it.

I loved the aspect of elephants and the elephant god and the way the extended metaphor was set up. Overall, Follow the Elephant was an enjoyable read although a tad difficult to connect with characters. Writing is good and the characters had their little quirks and were interesting to read about. The plot was unique and I loved how it was set in a foreign country and the way India affected Ben.

7.5/10

Lastly, I'm going to give away my copy of Follow the Elephant! And I'd love it if you would either comment on this review or tweet (or both)... because you love me right? Actually, it's because I love you! Haha, but really, if I get a lot of comments/tweets etc I can enter the Green Books Campaign raffle for bloggers xD

Rules:
-US/Canada only.
-Ends Nov. 20
-one entry per person, Fill out the form below

-Contest CLOSED. Winner has been contacted, thanks for participating!-


Thank you for supporting the Green Books Campaign!








source: Ronsdale Press
author website
Green Books Campaign website / twitter / Facebook
Eco-Libris website

5 comments:

  1. sounds like a cute book...i just love elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a librarian who can definitely find a way to "recycle" this book! That's what I do for a living!

    Here's my Green post: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/11/green-books-campaign-stuff-reduce-reuse.html

    I'd love to have you stop by and see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love elephants, they're such amazing animals. Ths sounds like a very good book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good read. I try to be more eco-friendly. (I admit I don't do a great job) but I do try, so I love this idea! I'll have to look for more eco-proper publishing!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*