Tuesday, November 2, 2010

BR: The Lost Hero

by Rick Riordan
The Heroes of Olympus; book I

The world of demigods and mythology returns with a new cast plus cool recurring past characters. Of course, I couldn't miss it... xD

Summary:
Jason has a problem. He doesn’t remember anything before waking up on a school bus holding hands with a girl. Apparently he has a girlfriend named Piper. His best friend is a kid named Leo, and they’re all students in the Wilderness School, a boarding school for “bad kids”, as Leo puts it. What he did to end up here, Jason has no idea — except that everything seems very wrong.

Piper has a secret. Her father, a famous actor, has been missing for three days, and her vivid nightmares reveal that he’s in terrible danger. Now her boyfriend doesn’t recognize her, and when a freak storm and strange creatures attack during a school field trip, she, Jason, and Leo are whisked away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood. What is going on?

Leo has a way with tools. His new cabin at Camp Half-Blood is filled with them. Seriously, the place beats Wilderness School hands down, with its weapons training, monsters, and fine-looking girls. What’s troubling is the curse everyone keeps talking about, and that a camper’s gone missing. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist they are all—including Leo—related to a god.

**
I'm skipping this part (expectations/delivery/etc) but I'll say that The Lost Hero debuted at #1 on the Bestseller list (congrats!!)... And Riordan is gonna be cranking out 2 books a year (each like 400+ pages) for different series', which is very impressive!

**

My Thoughts

Come on, Rick, you’re getting lazy. There, I said it.

I’ll make a list because I can be lazy too.

General/writing:
-What on earth is with three different POVs, yet insisting on making all of them in third person? Oh yeah, it’s because I distinctly remember all your first person narratives sounding jarringly similar… ohkay. Fine...
-three different POVs, yet all the jokes and personalities blend together. All those one-liners that seem to have like, the exact same thought-process for each character. *sigh*
-Friendship triangle of cliché, hello to you too. Almost as bad as the love triangle of doom, this one is just predictable (and entertaining) but a bit unoriginal. You’ve got the heroic lead male, the smart-ass, brave, break-the-mold girl best friend, and basically the kind-of-third-wheel-but-not-really comical-relief-slash-kinda-cool third friend.
-I really really hope your characters grow up and the writing becomes a bit more mature later on, if this was less MG and more YA I would thoroughly love it I think.

Plot:
-excellent! Great job, it was entertaining throughout.
-liked the way Roman gods and goddesses were also carefully weaved into the story
-loved the mystery behind Jason and his amnesia, added to the tension (esp. regarding the Roman backgrounds and stuff)
-things could get a bit messy at times, too much going on and stuff…
-mythology inception gets another A-plus, loving it!
-CLIFFHANGER! You've been warned!

Characters:
-needs work
-more distinct characterization would be appreciated
-please have more flaws. Please. Please.
-favourite: Leo (funny, interesting)
-least favourite: Piper (too much of a ‘try-hard’ on Riordan’s part to make her brave and cool, if you get what I mean)
-I wish there was more of a connection/chemistry between the characters, I hope it’ll develop as the series continues!
-humour was utilized well
-definitely loved revisiting the characters from Percy Jackson... me likey; disliked the out-of-character-ness of some though... me no likey

Overall:

Pros:
-great plot
-fast paced
-awesome mythology (Greek & Roman!)
-cool mystery behind everything
-likable characters

Cons:
-mediocre writing
-3rd person POV from 3 different people was disheartening
-plot felt formulaic.. and repetitive at times
-had issues with consistency (both characters and plot)
-characters needed more faults

**

While it wasn’t the perfect book for me, I'm totally aware that many others will find it amazing so I'll definitely recommend it for: fans of Percy Jackson, boys, people who like mythology, action-packed books, and fun characters.

7.8/10

The sequel, The Son of Neptune, will be released Fall 2011!






author website / blog / twitter

3 comments:

  1. I really want to read this. I'm sorry to hear about the shoddy characterization though. At least it seems like its good enough that you can get beyond that....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way your review is formatted! :) Man, I have got to check out books like these. But third person POV isn't really my thing either. I struggle to connect with characters. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa- I think it's still a good book for PJ fans though :) I hope you get a chance to try it!

    Justine- hehe thank you! Yeah, connecting with 3rd person POV is tough for me, thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*