Thursday, October 21, 2010

BR: I Am Number Four

by Pittacus Lore (pseudonym)
Lorien Legacies; book I

I honestly wanted to read this because I was intrigued by the fact that a movie (starring Alex Pettyfer....) is coming out soon! That makes me tres excited for many reasons (and I never read James Frey's "memoir" so I shall refrain from commenting). Plus, aliens? YAY!

Summary (inside flap):

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books-- but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. We have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in Englsand.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

**
My Expectations: I hoped it would be action-y and different. I'm not really expecting a literary masterpiece though. I've stayed away from most reviews though!

Delivery: Good! A bit less action-y than I thought it would be, but good.

Put-down-ability: 4/10
**

My Thoughts

I Am Number Four is the type of book that will be snatched up by YA readers who want a break from the dominant genres of contemporary and paranormal. It has a great premise that "Lore" pulled off. One of the things I loved about this novel is Lore’s ability to build the world and history of Lorien that actually made me care about it, it’s a planet millions of miles away in a fictional world but I was still interested. The concept of aliens coming to earth, the Nine, Legacies, Garde and Cepan, and the Mogadorians who hunt them.. all of it felt really original (because I rarely read sci-fi or alien books).

I’m usually a fan of male perspective books but I felt this book’s writing was ‘middle of the pack’. The voice could definitely have been more distinct because many times it felt too ‘narrative’ and not enough ‘personality’. It felt like an awkward step-by-step story. Another thing this novel lacked was character development and depth. Throughout the novel there could have been a lot of opportunities for character growth for both primary and secondary characters which didn’t really occur. What you see is what you get for characters (minus one though).

I will say that the protagonist, John Smith, is likable, as is the love interest. I didn’t really feel the spark between him and Sarah but I thought the romance was cute. His new friend Sam is one of my favourite characters too, a total sweetheart geek! Basically, all of the characters are likable but a bit underwhelming. I did appreciate John's desire to be 'normal' in high school though.

I think the thing about my reading experience is that I kept picturing the novel as a movie, and in this regard it was extremely entertaining. I had clear pictures of characters in my head and all the action and storyline development could definitely work on the big screen. I think the way John’s different legacies, or powers, came about would look wicked in a movie, they were already cool in the book. Lastly, I loved the climax and anticlimax, so awesome!!

Rating in HP Terms: Acceptable
Recommended for: YA fans of Sci-fi, paranormal, male POVs

7/10 – because while there were a few weak points of the novel, it was nevertheless enjoyable. I loved the history Lore presented with Lorien’s destruction and the urgent and desperate feel through the last bit of the book. Characters fell flat but the plot was intriguing and easy to fall into. I Am Number Four unfolds like a movie, which I'm sure will be entertaining.








source: publisher (twitter)
intrigued?? Browse Inside, read an excerpt
book fan page
I Am Number Four movie trailer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*