Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

This week's pick is one I've been looking forward since I first read the summary and saw the (breathtakingly awesome) cover.

Like Mandarin
by Kirsten Hubbard

Released: March 8, 2011
Delacorte/Random House


"I want to be beautiful like you, I thought, as if Mandarin were listening.

I want apricot skin and Pocahontas hair and eyes the color of tea. I want to be confident and detached and effortlessly sensual, and if promiscuity is part of the package, I will gladly follow your lead. All I know is I'm so tired of being inside my body.

I would give anything to be like Mandarin."

Summary:

It's hard finding beauty in the badlands of Washokey, Wyoming, but 14-year-old Grace Carpenter knows it's not her mother's pageant obsessions, or the cowboy dances adored by her small-town classmates. True beauty is wild-girl Mandarin Ramey: 17, shameless and utterly carefree. Grace would give anything to be like Mandarin.

When they're united for a project, they form an unlikely, explosive friendship, packed with nights spent skinny-dipping in the canal, liberating the town's animal-head trophies, and searching for someplace magic. Grace plays along when Mandarin suggests they run away together. Blame it on the crazy-making wildwinds plaguing their badlands town.

Because all too soon, Grace discovers Mandarin's unique beauty hides a girl who's troubled, broken, and even dangerous. And no matter how hard Grace fights to keep the magic, no friendship can withstand betrayal.

**

I don't really know why, but it's like I've been 'drawn' to this book. Hmm. I should look into it xD It looks really fantastic, and people are saying great things about it!

14 comments:

  1. I see that this is quickly becoming and anticipated favorite! I am anxious to see how everyone will enjoy it! Thanks for sharing! My wow is at:
    The Delusional Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandarine sounds like a fab read! Thanks for sharing it, Audrey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this book recommended alot and it definitely looks like it'll be a great read. Hope you enjoy it when it's released and I'll look forward to your review :)

    Here's my WOW for this week

    ReplyDelete
  4. This seems like a popular one...hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pick! It sounds like it's going to be a good one. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book is gaining some hype this morning. It sounds amazing so I’m not surprised. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a popular one this week! Nice choice. Mine is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, very popular this week. I added it to my TBR!

    Great site here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of people are excited about this book this week! I must say that I'm now one of those people! :D

    Great pick <3 I'm a new follower :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow this book sounds so awesome! I can't wait to read this now, definitely going on my TBR pile :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Starting to see this one pop up around the WOW posts. I can't wait to see what you have to say about it.

    Check out my WOW for Dancers, Flappers and Lots of Iron!

    -Stacey @ Flippin' Fabulous - Fabulously Large WOW, Dancers, Flappers and Lots of Iron

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen this book a lot but I've never read the summary until now. It looks really good. Great pick!

    By the way, I love your header! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that passage is great. It makes me want to read the rest of it! Ahh! Nice pick this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone--- thanks so much for the comments! I had no idea it was such a popular pick, I thought I was one of the few :p I guess it just looks like a fabulous book!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*