Sunday, October 24, 2010

Poetry Slam Sunday (4)


Slam Sunday
is a bi-weekly feature I'm having on my blog, basically every other Sunday I'll share a YouTube clip of awesome spoken poetry that you just can't miss.

Poetry Slam is a competition in which poets recite original work. I love it. Plain and simple, I love the way it combines words, rhythms and performance, the sounds blending together to bring attention to anything and everything. When done well, it has the power to accomplish great things.
**
This week is one that when I watched the first time around, I thought wow, this is great. The second time, it was, wow. This is amazing! Not really sure why this took me two views to love, but anyways, if you don't love it the first time around, you should watch it twice! xD

I absolutely LOVE this one. It is utterly stunning, and I love the issue it deals with and its prevalence in society today. Not to mention it really reminded me of one of my YA faves, North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headly. As the poem starts builds and builds, I could just feel the emotion behind the words, it's truly a gem =)

Title: Pretty
Poet: Katie Makkai



But this is not about me.
This is about,

the self-mutilating circus we have painted ourselves clowns in,

about women who will prowl thirty stores and six malls

to find the right cocktail dress,

but who haven't a CLUE where to find fulfillment or

How to wear JOY.

Wandering through life shackled to a shopping bag

beneath the tyranny of those

two Pretty syllables...

Next Time: Eric Darby

4 comments:

  1. Loved it. Wow.

    I kept thinking, "Wonder if her mom feels like a total ass listening to this?"

    Probably.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "No child of mine will be contained in five letters."
    Amazing. I'm so glad you made Slam Sunday, I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always looove how they include a small melody. This poem is lovely and yes, it definitely does remind me of North of Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs DeRaps- haha probably

    Katie- Thank you!! I'm so glad you like it, I love sharing poems like this :)

    Justine- Mhm, i noticed that too! North of Beautiful was awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*