Sunday, October 10, 2010

Poetry Slam Sunday (3)

Slam Sunday is a new bi-weekly feature I'm having on my blog, basically every other Sunday I'll share a YouTube clip of awesome spoken poetry that you just can't miss.

Poetry Slam is a competition in which poets recite original work. I love it. Plain and simple, I love the way it combines words, rhythms and performance, the sounds blending together to bring attention to anything and everything. When done well, it has the power to accomplish great things.
**

Happy 10/10/10 everyone :)

If you haven't heard of Taylor Mali, you are seriously missing out. His work honestly can leave me jaw-dropped, and nodding along thinking 'this is me. I need to change'. Well, this one in particular does. This topic is not only incredibly true (from what I noticed at school and even pertaining to myself) but hilarious and original as well. Please, press play. It's seriously an awesomesauce 'poem'.. ya know? (clip begins at 0:14)

And I promise you after you become aware of this, you know, stuff you will like, you know, be noticing this everywhere...?

Title: Speaking with Conviction
Poet: Taylor Mali



They've been infested with this tragically cool and totally hip
interogative tone..?
As if I'm saying "don't think I'm a nerd just 'cause I've, like, noticed this okay?
I have nothing personally invested in my own opinions,
I'm just like inviting you to join me
on the bandwagon of my own uncertainty..?"

Next time: Katie Makkai






PS- this meme is bi-weekly, I just broke the rules this week :p

5 comments:

  1. Wow. The end of that, "It is not enough to question authority, you've got to speak with it to"...That's going to be the quote of the week in my classroom. Love Taylor Mali.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. "Too," not "to". Sorry, Mali.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. How he made it funny, yet was able to get a strong point across it incredible. I agree with Mrs. Deraps, that line definitely stuck with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This video was absolutely totally awesome. I loved the line, "I'm just like inviting you to join me
    on the bandwagon of my own uncertainty..?" And his delivery throughout the whole thing was spot-on. I knew someone once who talked like that *all* the time (virtually every single sentence) but I know that I am sometimes guilty of it too...Anyway thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. DeRaps- I always look forward to your comments on this meme :) I'm glad you liked it! Yes, those are words that can be taken to heart!

    Katie- Mhmm, i loved it too!

    Danya- I was laughing but it made so much sense! And I know what you're talkinga bout, I know people like that too! thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*