Sunday, October 3, 2010

Poetry Slam Sunday (2)

Slam Sunday is a new bi-weekly feature I'm having on my blog, basically every Sunday I'll share a YouTube clip of awesome spoken poetry that you just can't miss.

Poetry Slam is a competition in which poets recite original work. I love it. Plain and simple, I love the way it combines words, rhythms and performance, the sounds blending together to bring attention to anything and everything. When done well, it has the power to accomplish great things.
**

This week is another one of my favourites for a completely different reason than the last one. Instead of words melded together to form melodic poetry and heartfelt lyrics, this one is still straight from the heart but this time with so much power. I love the conviction in Daniel Beatty's poem, but I think what draws me in is the intense rhythm of it all. It's about a boy and his father, quite simply. (sorry for the low quality video)

Title: Knock Knock
Poet: Daniel Beatty



Papa come home because I decided a while back I want to be
just like you.
...but I'm forgettin' who you are.
And 25 years later a little boy cries and I so write these words
and try to heal and try to father myself
and I dream about the father
who says the words my father did not:
Dear Son,
I'm sorry I never came home.

Next Time: Taylor Mali

5 comments:

  1. That was amazing! I especially love how he tied it all together at the very last line. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. I teared up. Love that you're doing this...and I can't wait for Taylor Mali next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slam Sundays is definitely something I look forward to now. I loved Sarah Kay last week. This was amazing, so powerful... It gave me chills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this was empowering! I've got goosebumps. You've got me addicted to slam poetry now! I've been youtube-ing Sarah Kay last week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Savannah- I was tempted to use that in one of my discussion posts, but it totally belongs to him :)

    Mrs. DeRaps- I'm so glad you are loving this meme, it means a lot!

    Katie- :D Thank you, that means so much to me. I'm glad you liked it!

    Justine- I totally agree, that happened to me the first time I heard it! Hehe, I'm glad you are liking slam poetry, I've been pretty obsessed with it for a while :D

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*