Sunday, September 19, 2010

Poetry Slam Sunday (1)

Slam Sunday is a new bi-weekly feature I'm having on my blog, basically every Sunday I'll share a YouTube clip of awesome spoken poetry that you just can't miss.

Poetry Slam is a competition in which poets recite original work. I love it. Plain and simple, I love the way it combines words, rhythms and performance, the sounds blending together to bring attention to anything and everything. When done well, it has the power to accomplish great things.
**

I'm starting off everything with a bang. Well, with what I hope is a bang. This is one of my absolute favourite pieces ever, it is beautiful, touching, hopeful, and funny. Can you believe this girl (Sarah Kay, love her poems!) was like 16 at the time? If you're feeling hesitant about spending another 3 minutes on my blog... please don't. Just press "play", you won't regret it.

Title: B
Poet: Sarah Kay




She's gonna learn that this life will hit you,
hard, in the face,
wait for you to get back up
so it can kick you in the stomach,
but getting the wind knocked out of you
is the only way
to remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.

Next Week: Daniel Beatty

5 comments:

  1. So, I just forwarded this video to every woman I know.

    Watching/ listening to this, I just had shivers and quivers and trembles all over. Brilliant.

    Love this feature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That gave me chills... she's amazing.
    Thank you for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. DeRaps- thank you so much fo this comment, it really makes me want to do a happy dance. I'm so glad you liked it!!

    Katie- I'm really happy you liked it, thank you for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg Audrey.. she is fing amazing!!! thats just incredibile the passion in her voice god it's quite something huh thanks for sharing girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'm speechless. I remember Slam Poetry from the Winter Olympics. My dad was obsessed with this guy who shared a poem about Canada. This, though, is amazing. I think you have just started a slam poetry liking in me! I'm going to go youtube more of Sarah Kay. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*