Friday, September 3, 2010

Friday's Finest (22)

Quote from Mockingjay (barely-a-spoiler alert)


Friday's Finest is a meme hosted by Steff & Justine from A Bookful of Thoughts.

Rules:
~Post a quote that really stuck to you after reading it in a book.
~Make sure it isn't a spoiler!
~If you'd like, expand on what you think it means and why you chose
**

It's funny how this line really just jumped off the page for me for no other reason than the fact that I felt the honesty of it. It's bizarre, but it was as if this was the one line that truly rung with clarity, broken innocence and truth. It shows the growth of Katniss, and the change she and others have been forced to experience through the revolution.

It occurs nearer the end of the novel, so it is a very very minor spoiler.

Book: Mockingjay (The Hunger Games book 3)
by Suzanne Collins

Quote:
Gale comes up behind me and we examine each other's reflection. I'm searching for something to hang on to, some sign of the girl and boy who met by chance in the woods five years ago and became inseparable.
Call me weird, but I really really love those lines, particuarly the second one. I love the whole paragraph. I should stop reading it over and over again, I'm afraid they will lose their magic.

You got any favourite quotes from this book? (of course, the very last line before the epilogue is a shoo-in...)






PS- I'd actually like to say a weird 'sorry' for having so much Mockingjay related stuff this week, it seems like I've done everything but review it... Promise I'll be moving on to other things soon.

10 comments:

  1. Aw! I remember this paragraph making me cry. It does show the growth of Katniss. And...Gale. Ah, I can't spoil anything for the others! But you've picked a good one this week :) Mockingjay ftw! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was drowning in my own tears at this point - the scene felt so distressing. Great pick - some on Team Gale may get a kick out of this and interpret it in a completely different light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justine- I'm glad you remember the paragrph, it stuck with me.. thank you, Mjay ftw :)

    Dwayne- Aww I agree! I'm not really team gale, but I loved that paragraph! thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quote, too, although the next part breaks my heart. I also love the line before the epilogue, but isn't the last line (at the very, very end) fantastic? How clever and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not weird! I ADORED that line as well. It just says so much about how things in life can change, and one day you look back and wonder how it all happened.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this quote too! I think it just shows how much everyone has been irreparably changed. War is not pretty and it does not spare anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. I haven't read the book, but what strikes me is that this thought occurs while looking at a reflection- an image. This implies something that isn't there- if you reach into a pond to try and grab an image you see there, it turns out to be intangible, and the very act of trying disrupts the water and destroys it. Kind of sad, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Madeleine- I gotta agree, I thought th every last line was just a stellar ending-line, ya know? thanks for pointing it out!!

    Natalie- ;) Yeah, it just has that weird resonation I guess.

    Kt- I agree :) thanks for the comment!

    LupLun- Thank you for such a thoughtful response! I really like the spin you put on the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished Mockingjay, too.
    Thank you for sharing this.

    I'm stopping by your blog via the Hop.

    I'm a new follower!

    Hope you will stop by my blog, too:
    www.readerbuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*