Tuesday, September 7, 2010

BR: The Iron King

by Julie Kagawa
Iron Fey series; book I

Blechh, school starts today. Kill me now. Senior year...
Well, remember a while ago I held a contest for this novel? After getting back from vacation, I finally got around to reading it (with a bit of hesitation) but I'm glad I did!

Summary:

Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart.

**
My Expectations: To be honest, I was a bit wary about reading this. The only other fey novel I’ve read I’ve pretty much detested, plus there was a lot of hype. I dunno, I was just a reluctant reader… I thought it would be so-so

Delivery: Hurray! Above my expectations, it wasn’t really what I was expecting at all. Wonderful, enjoyable read.

Put-down-ability: hmm last bit was awesome, first bit was okay. 5/10
**

My Thoughts

I don’t really know what to say apart from the fact that I really really liked it. But I wouldn’t be who I am if I wasn’t nitpicky… does me being nitpicky bother you? I hope not, I don’t think I’ll be changing soon.

So there were two lines in the novel that annoyed me (please know that this is completely my irrational opinion). They are not quoted word for word, but they go along the lines of…
“My heart broke with every step I took.”

“I was a depressed, cold person… Until I met you.”
Ech, those sentences don’t leave good tastes in my mouth. It feels amateurish and predictable and corny, no matter whose mouth they come out of. Sorry!

That aside… another nitpick of mine was that I didn’t connect that well with Meghan. Sure, her voice was delightful and kept me engaged from page one (yes! I love lovable narrators) but I never really felt her motivation, the desperation she had to save Ethan, her romantic feelings, etc. A bit more show, a bit less tell might’ve changed my mind but who knows.

Lastly, I didn’t believe her feelings toward either boy, Ash or Puck. Can’t see what non-physical part is attractive about Ash, and Puck was a bit too “just there” for me. Choosing a team? Uhm... Push. Ashuck. I'm divided (after book #2, no longer divided. Stay tuned for review)!

However, on to the good stuff! Nevernever was very well laid out, it had the potential to get messy and confusing but I think Kagawa handled it with finesse. The concept behind everything, the Summer and Winter courts, the Iron Fey, everything I was very satisfied with; it kept the adventure going without over-explanations and lag.

The whole storyline was great, and Meghan I think is a generally likable character minus some minor moments of inconsistency. Puck and Ash are both appealing for different reasons, but I think I have a good idea who she’ll end up with. I am curious though, are feys as tall as humans? I think I missed that part because the glamour and whatever screwed me up xD

Please don't think that just because I had issues (I always have issues) doesn't mean I didn't like it. And the fact that I focused on issues also doesn't mean I didn't like it. I really really did, there were more than enough good parts to settle the bad. =]

Parting Thoughts: Well, I finished this book at the book store, and then I snatched up Iron Daughter as I left… I was gonna read the e-galley but I guess I want the collection. You’ve won me over, Ms. Kagawa!
Rating in HP Terms: Exceeds Expectations

8.3/10 – because it was thoroughly enjoyable and I loved the concept and premise of faeries. Maybe had some minor issues with writing and characters, but overall I think a lot of people will like the bit-cliched-but-with-a-great-twist plot. Recommended to YA readers in general :) B+







source: Big Honcho Media
author blog/twitter/website
series website

6 comments:

  1. AWESOME. I have to still read this book. Woohoo! Can't wait. And wow, those 2 quotes you said reminded me of Bella from Twilight. Eek. Great review, anyway! This is definitely a must read to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book, though I sort of agree with your opinion of those two sentences.

    I'm so jealous that you've read THE IRON DAUGHTER! Must. Pick. Up. At. Library. Today. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justine- Yes, can't wait to hear your thoughts on it! :)

    Madeleine- I hope you really like it! It was lukewarm for me, I had a really nitpicky review that I'm gonna try and trim down because it was really unreasonable xD Team Puck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this book too, and agree that Nevernever could have turned into a big mess but it was handled really well.

    I've read a couple of Fae books and thought this one did a great job of explaining the hierarchy of their world.

    Working through my TBR pile to get to Iron Daughter...which I absolutely must complete before Iron Queen hits the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh...forgot to mention it before, but I found you through the Book Blogger Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer- I've only read this series and another book for fey books, I'm not the biggest fan but I liked this series a lot more :p hope you like the sequel, and thnaks for hopping by :)

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*