Monday, September 13, 2010

BR: The Iron Daughter

by Julie Kagawa
Iron Fey series; book II

Here is a marketing scheme to sell sequels: have book readers read book #1 in a bookstore, within hands reach of book #2. Then when he or she finishes book #1, close the store, giving 15 minutes of warning. 15 minutes will guarantee that this reader will purchase book #2. Sales go through the roof. You’re welcome.

Summary (goodreads):
Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron Fey, iron-bound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's alone in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.
**
My Expectations: I thoroughly enjoyed the first novel, so I thought this one would be even better. I read the first bit in the book store and was hooked.

Delivery: fell short about halfway through, but still good.

Put-down-ability: Very engaging writing, 3/10
**

My Thoughts

I feel that I'm a negative person. I really do, and I'm going to try and cut back on negativity because honestly, the only thing it accomplishes is... nothing (apart from making me look like a mean girl).

The Iron Daughter is a very worthy sequel to The Iron King, and one that I completely devoured in less than a day. I thought the expansion on the world-building was impressive with the addition of The Between and the Briars, both are exciting and unique, adding intrigue to the plot. I do find it a bit difficult to imagine some of the creatures/settings at times but that's because my imagination is on hold.

The non-stop action was fantastic, and I loved how there was fighting involved, swords and daggers and other creatures. Way cool. The concept of technology and Iron Faeries was also superb (probably my favourite part), and I like how it relates to the world today and its dependance on computers and stuff. I think the 'existence' of the fey based on imagination was a nice touch. Kagawa's writing is impressive for her sophomore novel, Meghan's voice is extremely engaging and flows well, very much like a teenager.

I found the storyline a bit shaky, it felt as if it lost a bit of focus halfway through, as if the author was trying to juggle too many things at once: the romance, the Scepter quest, the backstory, feys, and things just felt a tad messy. Very much disliked the ending.

Now to characters: Both Puck and Ash fell flat for me. Despite the fact I am Team Puck, I just don't see any character depth apart from his devotion to Meghan. Ash is predictable as ever, not many of his actions really surprised me, and I still don't see what Meghan sees in him. Go Grimalkin!

Meghan isn't my favourite protagonist, I felt her obsession/love for the boy(s) was annoying and tedious, along with some moments where her helplessness got on my nerves.

Parting Thoughts: I hope book 3 will be better, I will be reading it :)
Rating in HP Terms: Acceptable

7.8/10 - because it disappointed me a bit, I wasn't a huge fan of the characters, but the plot and action was great. I love the Faery world created by Kagawa, and the creatures as well. I wish I felt a bit more connection and understanding of the motivation behind the characters though, especially Meghan. The third book, The Iron Queen, is released Feb 2011! Team Puck! B





source: bought
author blog/twitter/website
series website

3 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this series. I've heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You're blog is really great =) I loved your marketing scheme. If I could... I would spend hours in a bookstore, but sadly my life will not allow it. I'll be looking forward to reading more of your book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I'm trying to follow your blog, but my computer is acting crazy. I'll do it first thing tomorrow when I get to work!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*