Wednesday, September 8, 2010

BR: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

By Stieg Larsson
Millennium series; book I

Since this book is pretty out of my genre, I finally found a way to keep it short!!

Summary

Industrialist 82 year old Henrik Vanger is tormented by the disappearance of a child, Harriet, over 30 years ago. Suspecting someone in his dysfunctional family is involved, he hires recently humiliated journalist, Mikael Blomkvist to do some digging and try his best to solve the mystery. Along the way, talented and dangerous haker, Lisbeth Salander finds herself assisting the investigation that might just be connected to the work of a gruesome serial killer.


My Thoughts

I think “Men Who Hate Women” might have been a more suitable title. I like to think myself as an emotional reader, I find myself part of the story and this time, might not have been the best idea. I’ll admit, I was pretty damn freaked out at times as I blanched at the horrors being described and the disgusting acts being committed… this is definitely not a book for younger audiences.

The story itself is pretty intricate, the disappearance and the whole mystery is well laid out. The Vanger family gives a whole new definition to dysfunctional, and the sub-plots (Millennium, etc) were well presented. I thought Lisbeth as a fascinating, enigmatic character that really stands out amongst books I’ve read lately, I don’t want to spoil too much but I just found her really bizarre-ly interesting. Blomkvist is more of a typical male lead—less unique, more clich├ęd but still likable.

It does feel a bit “out-of-times” just because of how technology is handled nowadays, and there could be some confusing Swedish terms. Lastly, I suggest finding out the kroner-to-USD conversion rate, they talk a lot about money.

Rating in HP Terms: Acceptable

8.5/10 – because the story was gripping, addicting, but is it okay to say “messed up” at times? It could be twisted and merciless to a younger reader, and it really is a clever and fast-paced thriller novel with intriguing characters and a mystery worth the 500 or so pages. Recommended for adults who like, well, mystery thrillers. B





Source: bought
PS- I've had this post for a while, but I was planning on 'releasing' all 3 review for this series at once. However, as I am temporarily desperately sludging through book 3 (blame the yummy tbr pile!) I just thought whatever... Anyways, you can expect a review of books 2 + 3 sometime.

7 comments:

  1. I've been curious about this one for the longest. Thanks for the review, I think I might give it a try. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I was just about to ask you whether you were thinking of reviewing the Millenium trilogy. Glad you liked it. :) Looking forward for books 2 and 3 (haven't read them yet). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check this book out some more--it sounds interesting. I've never heard of it before, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia- If you're curious to step out of YA lit for a more thriller-ish book, I'd rec this one :) thanks for the comment!

    Elle- Haha, sorry it's taken me FOREVER to get this review up!! Book 2 was even better (IMO) but I'm having struggles with number 3 (it's not bad, I'm just getting distracted haha)

    The Golden Eagle- I'm glad I "introduced" you to this series :) thanks for commenting :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this book! I have yet to read the following two books in the trilogy. I agree, definitely not for younger readers. I was really upset about how Lisbeth was treated. The sad thing is that things like that probably do happen. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I think 'Men Who Hate Women' might have been a more suitable title."

    Great sentence, made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jamie- I know, it was disturbing to say the least. But the book itself was really good. thanks for the commen Jamie :)

    Jennifer- ;) thanks!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*