Saturday, September 25, 2010

BR: The Eternal Ones

by Kirsten Miller

This book has been everywhere! Part of the “Penguin Five” so I was so excited to have a chance to read this.

Summary (goodreads)
Haven Moore can’t control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan, and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother’s house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was.

In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves¸ before all is lost and the cycle begins again.


**
My Expectations: I will say, I thought some stuff would have me eye-rolling because of the summary (lots of romance!)

Delivery: I was eye-rolling because of different reason *cough*Haven*cough*, it was… annoying.

Put-down-ability: I’m serious, I read this one sooo slow. In fact, I read 3 books in between when I tried to finish this one. It’s not even that it’s a bad book, I was just so.. weird. 9/10
**

My Thoughts
The Eternal Ones has an odd premise, the inclusion of reincarnation and the concept that ‘Constance’ and ‘Ethan’ always find each other in different lives is a tad too romantic, but acceptable and unique. The idea of a romance that 'spreads across melennia' is actually really original (well, for me) and caught my interest. Oh, and first up, I liked the enigmatic Beau, despite his clichéd roots of a gay best friend, I’ll admit he was really cool and I want one (Iron Man 2 anyone?).

However, Haven was not quite the same. While Yan might have a rant about her (I agreed), I just have complaints. My problem was that she had no, like, brain. Like honestly. Every single time someone tells her something, she believes him/her, then goes off to confront the person who had ‘wronged’ her, and then when that person tells her something, she totally believes them! Then it goes back and forth with ‘lies’ and ‘truths’ in which she believes every word. Girl, make up your bloody mind! Stop being so easily swayed.

Another aspect that I haven’t really touched on on my blog yet was, this book was (I really hate to be the one say this) a tad boring. I never really got into it, I felt the plot in NYC was repetitive and I never really ended up caring about Iain and Haven. Their romance was sudden and passionate, sure, but I did get a bit annoyed when one second Haven hated his guts, the next second declaring she cannot live without him.

The Ouroboros Society was slightly redeeming, it was mafia-ish and interesting, but a tad clichéd. An all-powerful group with all the powerful men in the world as members, doing dirty work. Been there, done that. But.. I did really enjoy the mystery behind everything. I never really had a hunch, so I had fun being surprised as bad guys turned out bad, and good guys turned out bad. In fact, this book is a lot more mystery than advertised, and a bit less romance too. Oh, and the flashbacks worked, I liked their timely-ness and their addition to the plot.

Lastly, I really wish I could say something positive about the writing, but alas, the third person POV (unsurprisingly) didn’t work that well for me. I never felt engaged or addicted, just burdened. I’m happy to say, though, that this case is not really a ‘show, don’t tell’ complaint, but more just ‘not enticing enough’.

Parting Thoughts: Nothing much, really, I just wish I got more 'into it' though.
Rating in HP Terms: Poor

6.8/10 – because it just didn’t really work for me. While I found the mystery enjoyable and the romance tolerable, I never really got into any aspect of the story. I found Haven a unlikable and sometimes just obtuse character, the romance depended too much on the history, not the present, and the Ouroboros society was only just meh. I didn’t dislike it, it just wasn’t my thing. I would, however, recommend this to YA romance-lovers who like a twist of mystery, I think there are a lot of people out there who will take to this a lot better than me! C

7 comments:

  1. Great honest review! I can't seem to bring myself to read this one because I've seen such mixed reviews on it...it makes me wonder how it suddenly got so popular haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Kiki Strike series that Kirsten Miller wrote, so I'd probably read this book just to see what it's like; after reading your review though, I'm not so sure I'll enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the honest review. I didn't know this was in third person. It'll be so different to the normal first person narrative; Bright Young Things is also in third. So is the Pretty Little Liars series. Actually there are quite a few...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa- I know what you mean! It's cool that everybody has such different opinions though. thanks for the comment!

    The Golden Eagle- Hmm, i haven't heard of it, but i might check it out!

    Cass- I'm totally First person POV biased, I like them sooo much more than third :p (well, there are always exceptions)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it had great potential, but I agree, it was repetitive, Haven couldn't make up her mind and was bouncing back and forth a lot.


    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came across your blog and I love the way you review! It's very detailed and I think it really lets a reader know what they're getting into. I think you would make an excellent critique partner or beta reader for a writer. Just a thought. Anyway, love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brandi- Yeah, the bouncing back and forth really didn't work for me. Thanks for commenting :)

    Sarah- Wow, thank you! I have never considered that, it's so flattering. thanks :D

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*