Sunday, August 29, 2010

taiwan book Haul

First, if you're interested, here's a post about my thoughts on my summer camp/tour in Taiwan.
**

I'm not sure what should be classified as a "haul" but anyways, these are all the books that I bought this summer! Taiwan YA selection is quite poor (they have lots of If I Stay, Willow, WGWG, and The Fallen though... O.o) I was a bit starved for English books so... I think I mighta went a bit crazy. I know I already listed some, but whatever.

Please please please don't think I'm bragging or anything (I mean, I bought these myself), just think of it as a filler post by a weird child. I'm bored, I like lists, so bring it on!

Also, parts in italics are not my mini-reviews, they're just brief thoughts. You can expect actual reviews sometime in the future!

Total: 18 books
YA: 9 (+some crossover)
Softcover: 16 (I'm thrifty)
Part of a Series: 9


Read/Bought:

Millennium Trilogy: (by Stieg Larsson)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • The Girl who Played with Fire
  • The Girl who Kicked the Hornets' Nest
-intense, fast-paced action books with mystery and intrigue. addicting. disturbing.

  • Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
-sweet, charming, beautiful. heartwarming. heartbreaking (Jo! how could you?)

  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (UK Version!)
-perfect. the writing is absolute perfection.

  • Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev
-cute, charming, theatric, mystical, unique.

  • House Rules by Jodi Picoult
-strong writing, but a bit meh on the characterization.

  • Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult
-I've read better, but it wasn't bad.

  • I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter
-annoying romance, unblievable, meh protag, lacked the charm of Heist Society.

  • The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
-not bad, but honestly, I can't see the appeal of it.

  • Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
-intense, explosive, different. emotional. thoughts are still jumbled. i might have cried. sad the series is over.






Not Yet Read/Bought:
  • The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks
-against my hatred of Miley Cyrus, I bought the book (don't judge). Kinda hoping for a tear-fest.

  • Take Me There by Carolee Dean
-*squee* seriously can't wait to read this one. got high expectations.

  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes; All Novels and 56 (56!!) Short Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
-I thought I would be really bored. a desperation buy. hope it's good. 2 volumes

  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
-gonna see if Captain Wentworth is the one for me...


For Review:
  • The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
-Ash or Puck? why do i feel shallow saying that?

  • The Eternal Ones by Kristen Miller
-the cover is gorgeous (I love red!) hope it doesn't disappoint.

9 comments:

  1. So did you buy any book in Taiwan? Are the prices cheaper or more expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and btw, lots of great books! Especially that shiny Mockingjay :( I'm waiting for a paperback release with US cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taiwan must have been great!

    I loved The Book Thief!!

    Happy Reading!
    In My Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got a lot of awesome books, I've been so curious about reading The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo. I hope you enjoy the others you haven't read yet! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow you got some amazing books girl!! enjoy dearie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of great books, I loved the Larsson's trilogy but I thought the first was by far the best. Regarding Megan Whalen Turner I loved the Thief but most of my friends didn't, The Queen of Attolia is very different (more romantic) and every single person I know (who read it) enjoyed this and also The Kind of Attolia

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited to see you bought the rest of the Millenium trilogy! I've yet to read books 2 and 3. Let me know how it went! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great loot! I'm definitely buying THE BOOK THIEF in Europe someday. I love that cover so much.

    I hope you'll review these! I'm excited to hear more about what you think. Also - Team Puck. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fi-Chan- the books are about the same, usually give or take a couple dollars after conversion. It's just the selection that is limited in bookstores (online it's not bad). Hope you love Mockingjay!

    Gaby- I ADOREDT it! =)

    Cynthia- It's a great adult thriller :) I'll be posting a review soon.

    Aly- haha, thanks :)

    Emily- Huh, I didn't know that about the Thief series, not sure if I'll be continuing it. I'm struggling to get through the third Larsson book tbh...

    Elle- for sure :) expect reviews sometimes soonish, hun!

    Madeleine- I love that cover too!! Couldn't pass it up although it is about the same price as in Canada. Ooohh, Iron King is next up on my TBR!! :D

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*