Monday, August 2, 2010

Movie Thoughts: The Lovely Bones

Well, I finally got a chance to see this movie the other day, I'll start by saying I immensely enjoyed the novel by Alice Sebold so I wasn't sure what to expect from this adaptation.

Summary (IMDb):A 14-year-old girl from suburban Pennsylvania who is murdered by her neighbor. She tells the story from Heaven, showing the lives of the people around her and how they have changed all while attempting to get someone to find her lost body.

My Thoughts
I was disappointed. I will admit the camera/CGI work was very well handled, the in-between that Susie is caught in is absolutely beautiful and breathtaking, however this wasn't the crux of the novel. The novel dealt with the aftermath of such a tragic event and the changing family dynamics and relationships that followed. I felt the movie tried to grasp this theme several times but kept coming up short.

Abigail's absence, Lindsay's relationship, Ray and Ruth-- all of this felt half-assed, because they held such emotion during the book, yet did nothing for me during the film. Okay, I understand you can't really fit everything from book into movie, but I guess I'm just too nitpicky. I did love Mark Walhberg's acting as the father Jack Salmon, and Mr. Harvey was properly creepy.

Popcorn Review: An okay movie based on a very good book, some CGI parts and acting scenes were great but the overall emotion isn't comparable to the novel.

7/10

3 comments:

  1. My friend recommended me the book, and I've been contemplating between reading the book or watching the movie straight away. Now I think I'll be reading it first, because everyone really likes it. It's got an excellent premise, anyway! Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audreyyy hehehe :) i never really got around to finishing the book, so i didn't care for the movie, shame you didn't like to to

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh...now see that's pretty much the review I've heard from those that have both read the book and seen the film. I've only seen the film at this point (by the way, definitely agree on the acting and creepy), but certainly plan on reading the novel at some point as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*