Tuesday, August 3, 2010

BR: Eyes Like Stars

By Lisa Mantchev
Theatre Illuminata series; book I

I should read books more carefully. I learned that the hard way xD Anyways, I bought this one because this book has received generally positive reviews, and it has such a gorgeous cover!! Too bad I’m not more familiar with Shakespeare though :(

Summary
Bertie, our heroine, aided by 4 mischievous faeries must figure out a way to be an invaluable contributor to the theatre… and it doesn’t hurt that she’s got two very enticing boys to go along for the ride.

**
My Expectations: Like I said, it seemed to get a generally good reviews across the board. Thought it would be mediocre-ly good.

Delivery: Kind of like my expectations, I liked it!

Put-down-ability: I thought it was a fast-paced, fun read. 4/10
**

My Thoughts

Eyes Like Stars has a very mystically-magical atmosphere (similar to the title, which I love!), the idea behind the theatre, the Players and The Book were extremely unique and very fun to read about. However, I truly think it’s Bertie who steals the show, she is such an entertaining character who does both immature and noble things that she is nothing but endearing. Her actions might have been frustrating at times, as were her interactions with other people, but I think she did everything with a good heart.

Gotta talk about the love interests: honestly none of them really appealed to me (Ariel was a jerk, Nate had an… accent? Oh god, please don’t hate me for being unreasonable) so I never really cared about who Bertie liked more. My personal love interest(s)? The Faeries. Seriously, I haven’t giggled when reading in quite a long time, I just adored their little catty fights, absolutely pitch-perfect lines. Mustardseed, Cobweb, Moth, Peaseblossom...
[Bertie] “We’ve more important things to worry about right now than food.”

Mustardseed said reproachfully, “I’m certain you don’t mean that.”

“She’s under duress,” Peaseblossom said.

“I don’t care if she’s under duress, over it, or alongside it,” Moth said. “Nothing in this world supersedes cake.”

“Pie does,” Cobweb corrected.

Moth glared at him. “Are you under duress, too?”
I love food too… which is probably why I giggled when I read this. It’s just a taste of what these faeries have to offer.

The over plot of this was a bit wacky, there’s quite a bit of stuff going on that it could get a bit messy at places. I disliked the ending because it felt a bit forced, like “and here’s the final reveal, guys!” and I don’t know why but I was reminded of Inkheart by Cornelia Funke when reading some parts.

Rating in HP Terms: Acceptable

8/10 – because it was an entertaining book with a fantastic heroine and an original premise. I can’t say I didn’t enjoy reading it, I might’ve just had a couple nitpicks (as usual) but overall, an enchanting novel that deserves a second glance. Recommended for most YA readers, fans of Shakespeare and theatre, people who like a quirky, strong heroine. B


3 comments:

  1. This sounds really cute! Thanks especially for quoting there, because otherwise I don't think this book would have made it onto my to-read list. I can't resist that faerie talk. :D

    You should definitely read PARANORMALCY when it comes out. I'm not sure, but I think you'd think it's cute. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you liked this one! I really enjoyed it too. Thanks for sharing your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the scene where they are talking about going commando. i was in tears laughing so hard.

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*