Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wednesday's 3 Couples (12)

Wednesday's 3 Couples is a meme I created that let’s me share my love of YA lit couples with others.

Guidelines:
-pick a theme (can be anything! A genre, an author, a series, etc) a
-pick three couples within this theme you have strong feelings about (love them? hate them?)
-expand a tiny bit on why you chose these three couples, or what makes them awesome!
**

Warning: Minor Spoilers for: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott


This Week's Theme: The Classics

I'll be first to say I haven't read that many classic books (by "classic", I mean stuff like Dickens, Austen, etc) so this list is pretty limited to the few books I've read. I'll bet you can guess them already...


1. Elizabeth Bennett and Fitzwilliam Darcy - Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
-Uhm... hello? This is one of the best literary couples because they are (for me) the original "cliche" of girl hates boy then falling in love with the boy.
-Doesn't hurt that the very disagreeable Darcy ends up so endearing
-I can't help but admire Elizabeth's wit and humour
-Aren't they pretty together? haha, movie-wise, I guess



2. Jo March and Teddy Laurence - Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
-I didn't say they had to be successful couples, did I? This one broke my heart :'( *sniff*
-How could you, Jo? And that old professor...
-"our boy Laurie" will always far exceed the "man Laurie", the whole thing made me sad, to see Jo kind of kill the boy-ish side of him
-Laurie + (the girl he ended up with) = too perfect, annoyingly so



3. Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe - Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery
-I've only read book 1 in this series, but from that alone.. wait, scratch that. From the single scene of Anne and the slate, this couple had a place in my cynical heart
-Can't wait to see how they unfold, I just know that they would end up together, so I've got to read the rest of the series soon!! Especially because Madeleine likes it, and she has good taste xD
**

Anyways, I know this list is pretty limited, I'm trying to branch out and explore more classic lit. I actually can't think of that many more books in that genre that I've read! *sigh* I have an itching feeling that I've missed a blatantly obvious one too...

To You: What are your favourite "classic book" couples??

8 comments:

  1. oh, darcy and elizabeth...I'm a pride & prejudice nut! I'm designing my wedding dress after keira's white dress in the ball scene of the newest flick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have an award waiting for you over at my blog! Congrats!
    citraberry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa- really?? it's definitely be soooo gorgeous! wow!

    Julie- thanks youuu! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! I got a mention! :D

    And, you called mine: Anne and Gilbert. There's something infinitely special about there relationship. Even arguments are endearing. I don't think I've ever related to people more. So, yes, keep reading. And enjoy the crazy, beautiful, and altogether astounding relationship that is Anne and Gilbert's. :D

    P.S. Book three is where the REALLY good stuff is. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol, I think you're miles ahead of me with the classic lit thing. I've only read P&P halfway, and only because I had to for literature. :P I need to start reading more classics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for the double post but I forgot to talk about your new header! I <3 it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Madeleine- hehe, it just popped into my brain :] I've got to finish that series!

    Elle- I always try to convince myself to read more, sometimes it works :p the styles just really different, you know what I mean? even P&P was weird for me. And thank you!! :D

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*