Saturday, July 17, 2010

i bought (Non-ya) Books!

Okay, I know what your thinking... big deal, we are in a YA book blogosphere and everybody buys books!! Well, of course your right, but I'm still that girl who gets extrememly happy when I go to a bookstore and come back with some of my favourite objects in life.

I went to a bookstore in Taiwan (eslite) so of course, I was really disappointed to see their kinda small English YA section. They did have some cool titles that I've read before (If I Stay, WGWG, Willow, VA, Max Ride) but not enough. So, I decided that I might as well make the best of things and take this opportunity to buy some books kind of out of my genres.

I've stalked a bunch of blogs, and read a bunch of author interviews so I'm not really sure why but this time at the bookstore, I remembered some people writing about how they liked the love interest in Jane Austen's novel, Persuasion. So I got it ;) Actually, this is getting kind of long so let's list. And I only got 5 books, so it's not really a haul.
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen

  • Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

  • The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larson (too much hype to resist!)

  • Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult (I love her! Such a fab author)

  • House Rules by Jodi Picoult

Now my question to you is, would you read reviews for those books? Because I know my readers love YA, so I don't want to just review it for the heck of it when my audience isn't interested. I'll leave it anonymous and I would extremely appreciate it if you took 15 seconds and clicked a bit, I just want some very minor input xD




13 comments:

  1. i LOVE little women! it's one of my favorite classics, along with sense and sensibility, pride and prejudice, and wuthering heights and a bunch of others. i'd love to read a review on it :)

    the jodi picoult books sound really good, too! i haven't read either, but i'm interested in seeing what you think. have you read my sister's keeper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika- It's one of my friend's absolute favourite books ever (the other is The BOok Thief...) so I had to get it. I'm happy to know you love it! I'm gonna have even higher expectations now :)
    I've read MSK, loved it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude I'd read any of your reviews , genre doesn't bother me, in the end of the day i read a review to get input on the book and see if the reader enjoyed the book silly billy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Little Women is actually a Young Adult classic :) But I will definitely read a book review, no matter what genre it is. We're all book lovers here, regardless of the genre.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it's a book, then I'm fine with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard a lot about the "Girl with the dragon tattoo" and half of me wants to read it because of the hype

    I've been trying to get out of YA stuff from time to time But adult books kind of make me uneasy
    but I love reading reviews and I would glance over them of course ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing wrong with stepping outside your comfort zone

    ReplyDelete
  8. Read and review any and all books that intrigue you. I'm down to read your reviews, no matter what books they're about! (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read a couple of those, but I would still read your reviews. Actually I LIKE reading reviews of books I've already read as I like to see what other people thought =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Vampires and Tofu on this. :D Bring on the reviews! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll read your reviews of anything. :D

    Persuasion is really good. It's not my favorite Austen book, but it's still really enjoyable. I also LOVE Little Women. I'll admit, it can be kind of preachy sometimes, but overall, it's sweet and hardy. :D (An Old-Fashioned Girl is amazing.)

    I bought The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, but it was way too inappropriate for me. I gave it to my aunt. :D

    I haven't read any Jodi Picoult books, so I'll be really interested in reading your reviews of those!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I read and reviewed it not too long ago, and I LOVED it. :D

    Also, my first try with Jodi Picoult wasn't particularly good, so I'm interested in your reviews for her books as well.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aly- awh thanks, you're right :)

    Jillian- yeah, sometimes there's just so much YA stuff I read about I lose perspective, thanks!

    The Golden Eagle- :D sounds good!!

    Kit- haha, I usually give into hype :p It's a really different-sh genre though!

    Cleverly Inked- yeah, very true :)

    Kris- thanks for the encouragement :]

    Vampires and Tofu- same here! so true!

    Lady Scribbles- okay :D

    Madeleine- ooh, I usually like the books you reccommend so I'm even more interested in it. what's your favoureite Austen book? And yeah, TGWTDT seems really mature, so that's why I'm a bit iffy about reviewing it. Picoult is a great author! I'd recommend her books, they're thoughtful and well written and different.

    Elle- oooh, now I'm really intrigued! You just raised my expectations another notch :p
    I understand, sometimes you read a book about a popular author and kind of get turned off, despite all the good words.

    to all you guys: thank you for the comments :) it helps me put stuff into perspective, I'm probably going to write a few mini-reviews, and few normal ones! And thanks to all who voted!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*