Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday's Finest (19)

Friday's Finest is a meme hosted by Steff & Justine from A Bookful of Thoughts.

Rules:
~Post a quote that really stuck to you after reading it in a book.
~Make sure it isn't a spoiler!
~If you'd like, expand on what you think it means and why you chose it.
**

Not much introduction for this one apart from the fact that this isn’t really a YA book, but one I really enjoyed. Review up soon.

Book: The Road
by Cormac McCarthy

Quote:
The boy turned away. The man held him. Listen to me, he said.
What.
When your dreams are of some world that never was or of some world that never will be and you are happy again then you will have given up. Do you understand? And you can’t give up. I wont let you.

**

There’s something about that quote that stood out to me amongst a very quote-worthy book. This isn’t the best example of the writing in The Road, nor is it the best example of its substance and depth. It’s just something I liked and marked when I was reading it. True? Maybe. It keeps me thinking long after I finished the novel. Your thoughts?

Also, have you read the book? Did you like it?

4 comments:

  1. Great quote! I've never read it, but it looks good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the book and started it but never finished. * taboo, I know* Maybe I'll pick it up, again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Golden Eagle- it's pretty different ;)

    salarsen- haha, I understand, it's kind of a hard book to get into!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG this is one of my favorite books of all time. Sadly I've told everyone in my life that is *sort of* a reader to read this book, and of the few that took me up on the rec, none actually liked and/or finished it. ): I'm so glad to hear that you like it! I'll never forget the overall effect this book had on me, nor will I forget some of the scenes...esp the one in *that basement*...CHILLS

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*