Monday, July 12, 2010

BR: The Red Pyramid

by Rick Riordan
Kane Chronicles #1

I was so excited to get to read this, it sounded awesome :) And Ancient Egypt! cool stuff, go grade 7 social studies...

Summary (goodreads):
Since their mother’s death, Carter and Sadie have become near strangers. While Sadie has lived with her grandparents in London, her brother has traveled the world with their father, the brilliant Egyptologist, Dr. Julius Kane.

One night, Dr. Kane brings the siblings together for a "research experiment" at the British Museum, where he hopes to set things right for his family. Instead, he unleashes the Egyptian god Set, who banishes him to oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives.

Soon, Sadie and Carter discover that the gods of Egypt are waking, and the worst of them--Set--has his sights on the Kanes. To stop him, the siblings embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest that brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.

**
My Expectations: I really really enjoyed Percy Jackson series, so I expected more or less the same.

Delivery: A bit below my expectations, but (like PJ series) I think it will improve with each book.

Put-down-ability: Slow beginning, but definitely couldn’t put down the last 150 or so pages. 4/10
**

My Thoughts

If you follow my goodreads, you could kind of figure out my mindset as I sluggishly moved through the first bit. The plot moved rather slowly during the first 300 or so pages, it was difficult to stay engaged in the storyline. There was a ton of different things going on, along with explaining to the reader about Ancient Egyptian gods and traditions, and despite the fast-moving plot it just felt… slow.

It definitely picked up in the second half though, and I loved the different ideas woven into the storyline. That being said, I recognized a bunch of tidbits from other stories, such as Eragon, Percy Jackson, The Mummy, Max Ride, and even a bit of POTC. It may be because these genres are similar, or it might just be because the other novels/movies are based on the same research The Red Pyramid used, so I would hesitate before calling it a copycat. All in all, the plot was solidly good.

Sadie and Carter Kane themselves were so-so for me. I felt they were written to seriously appeal to a younger audience, probably tweens/early teens because of their extreme likability (almost to a fault) and of course, super-speshul godly powers. They were just a bit too… good. Not to mention they sounded and acted a lot more mature than 12 and 14.

I didn’t really feel distinct voices since the book is written in an alternating narration, I just felt maybe a bit of attitude in Sadie but the voices definitely aren’t comparable to another alt. nar, WGWG. I do think Riordan managed to incorporate some depth to them, but not enough to make them stand out. Also, the minor characters were hilarious (go Khufu!) yet a bit shallow. I liked the mystery of it all, trying to figure out what is going on and who is the bad guy (although honestly, quite reminiscent of Percy Jackson).

Parting Thoughts: Although it felt like a lot of different unoriginal ideas mashed together, still an enjoyable read (albeit long). Definitely going to read the second one!
Rating in HP terms: Acceptable

8/10 – because I thoroughly enjoyed the novel and the awesome dose of Ancient Egypt. It was fascinating to read about all these gods, but there were many (like many) times where I just get that niggling feeling that I’ve read/heard this idea before (for example, the name-power thing from Eragon). I thought the length might make it a bit less appealing, especially because it doesn’t really suck you into the story until the middle. Characters were a bit cookie-cutter, but still very likable. Overall, I liked it and would recommend it to: fans of Percy Jackson, Eragon, action books, books with cool twists, Ancient Egypt, magic… yeah. Read it! B







PS- 4 paragraph review! haha be impressed :P cutting down on that rambling

8 comments:

  1. I haven't read so many reviews of The Red Pyramid... I just bought s copy because I love the Percy Jackson series, so... I don't know what to expect yet. I am glad you liked and I hope to feel the same way. Thank you for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read so many reviews of The Red Pyramid... I just bought s copy because I love the Percy Jackson series, so... I don't know what to expect yet. I am glad you liked and I hope to feel the same way. Thank you for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read so many reviews of The Red Pyramid... I just bought s copy because I love the Percy Jackson series, so... I don't know what to expect yet. I am glad you liked and I hope to feel the same way. Thank you for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Percy Jackson! I might read this, just because it's done by the same author. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister adored the PJ series, but it always reluctant to start this. At least it's okay for a 12 year old right? They're easy to please, lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raila- I really hope you like it! PJ was awesome! :P it's kinda the same but with a different-ish twist.. yeah that doesn't make sense :p

    The Golden Eagle- Yeah, it's reminiscent of PJ, but some might think it's too similar :s I hope you try it though :D

    Dwayne- yeah, definitely okay for a 12 year old :p lots of action, likable characters, all that shin-dig. I hope she likes it, it's always kinda tough to decide whether or not to start a series like this after PJ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOhhhh, I hadn't heard of this new Riordan series! I think it will improve as they go on too... typically how it goes with a series :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Natalie- Yeah, I totally agree :) PJ ended with such an amazing bang

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*