Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wednesday's 3 Couples (9)

Wednesday's 3 Couples is a post/meme I created to help me regulate posts. It is biweekly, and usually has a theme! It lets me share my love of YA lit couples with others. If you want to join in feel free and leave a comment below :)
**

This week's theme: Fantasy

So I know that when I first started blogging, I was a huge fantasy person. That's probably why the first time I listened to an online book reccommendation it was from the fantasy genre. This past year, however, I've kind of weaned off it and gotten a lot more into contemporary novels, but I will never forget my love for it!

This week's 3 couples are (in my opinion) some of the very best! So compatible, so kick-ass, so cute.. just perfect. And it doesn't hurt that they carry swords because swords = hot.


1. Alanna and George Cooper: The Song of the Lioness Quartet (aka the Alanna Quartet) by Tamora Pierce

-It took me a while to appreciate this one (I was initially team Jon) but after some mulling it over, I love it!
-George has always been there for her, ever since she was young he looked over her and I gotta say, being a thief is pretty wicked.
-Alanna is such a strong heroine, she doesn't give in to the king-to-be. She does what she feels is right, and I completely admire that about her. Definitely the reason why I liked the book so much.
-Plus, this is one of my favourite fantasy series!



2. Katsa and Po: Graceling by Kristin Cashore

-it was a toss-up between this pair or Fire/Brigan. I didn't want Cashore dominating this week, haha.
-Chose these two because they... well, they beat the odds.
-And they're awesome, and have cool eyes.
-And can fight like nobody's business
-Despite Katsa's reluctance for romance, I think her personal growth with learning to trust and love Po was incredibly well written.
-Po's name is even starting to grow on me... uh oh, is that a bad sign?



3. Finnikin and Evanjalin: Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

-Melina Marchetta is the author (this is becoming a disturbing trend for "reasons" I like things...)
-I think both of these characters are extremely unique, and developed really nicely
-Evanjalin is tough as nails, and despite sometimes disliking her actions, I can respect her "what needs to be done" motto
-I kind of love Finnikin and all he goes through in the novel, a wonderful protagonist for sure.

-&-

So, which couples are your favourites? And what are your ultimate favourite couple from a YA Fantasy novel?? Leave a comment, I want to know!

Also, I'm kind of running out of themes/ideas. Do you guys have any suggestions? Like maybe a particular author, genre, series?

14 comments:

  1. I didn't really like Finnikin at all. I like Evajalin's can-do attitude, but she did murder those people and it's possible that not ALL of them were involved . . . but anyways, one of MY favorite pairs is Alyss and Dodge in The Looking Glass Wars. They fit perfectly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your Lioness & Graceling choices :) I'm actually dying to read Finnikin of the Rock, I think I'll have to buy a copy one of these days.

    My favorite fantasy couple (or one of them) would have to be Yelena/Valek from the Study trilogy by Maria V. Snyder. LOVE them both separate and together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I love Finnikin and Evanjalin, although I did want to bash their heads together near the end.

    I love Katsa and Po too they are prefect together.

    And I adore Lyra and Will from Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good theme! That's a tough question though. I'd have to agree with Alexa, I liked Lyra and Will also. And I really liked Ron and Hermione even if they weren't a couple through the entire series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allison- Finnikin is excellent :) AAHHH How could I forget them?? I loved them in Poison Study (not so much the other two) but PS was seriously amazing that they deserve to be on the list! can't believe I forgot them!

    Alexa- too true :P And it's been.. 4 years? since I read His Dark Materials, lol, I think I forgot most of the story. I do remember loving the two though :)

    Samantha- thanks! Yeah, I don't remember much from that series though, haha. I dunno if I classify HP as a fantasy... it's kinda in its own category :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Golden Eagle- haha, whoopsies missed you! No likey Finnikin? Aw thats okay :) I've never read The Looking Glass Wars, I will definitely add that to my wishlist! Thanks so much for the rec

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katsa and Po are one of my fave couples ever!! I loooved Po!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just re-reading your comment on my Tamora Pierce post for Author Appreciation week and thought I'd hop over to see what you've been up to and what a nice surprise - more of Tamora Pierce! :) LOVE her and the Alanna quartet. I was a bit miffed at the loss of Jon too, but after a few minutes of brain shifting, decided George really was the better choice for Alanna. :) Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the only book i've read out of the three is graceling, which i loved. katsa and po ftw! i love their chemistry <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not my normal genre of books but I will look into them since they seem to be at the top your list

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finnikin & Evanjalin!!! They were so freakin' awesome. Loved them! :3

    Loved Katsa & Po as well. Po was just... <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carrie- YESS!! PO ftw :)

    Em- thanks for stopping by :) yeahh, the Alanna quartet was superb, and I agree, at first I really thought she belonged with Jon but later decided George was a better :P

    Erika- I agree, the two are fantastic!

    Cleverly Inked- aw, not a fantasy fan? ahha, it's okay I guess :P I hope you can try them someday!

    AJ- <33 those two :) and completely agree with you on Po!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, I absolutely LOVE Alanna and George! I never liked her with Jonathan, it disappointed me when they were together, but at least Tamora Pierce made up for it when she finally put them together :)

    P.S. You got an award at my blog! http://aseverebookaddict.blogspot.com/2010/06/3rd-award-yes.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alice- thank you so much! and yeah, Alanna and George are pretty awesome together :D that whole series is awesomesauce

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*