Friday, June 4, 2010

Friday's Finest (16)

Friday's Finest is a meme hosted by Steff & Justine from A Bookful of Thoughts.

Rules:
~Post a quote that really stuck to you after reading it in a book.
~Make sure it isn't a spoiler!
~If you'd like, expand on what you think it means and why you chose it
**

I am in a serious book-reading funk. But this isn't because I've ran out of awesome books (although I might've just a tiny bit), it's just that there are two weeks left in school and I am insanely busy and stressed out. But since I love my readers so much, I had to share a quote with you this week, from one of my favourite YA novels of all time by a superbly talented author.

It's not really a deep, meaningful life-quote, it's just one that I feel expressed both so much emotion and so much vivid imagery it sticks out in your mind... the whole book is like that, but here's a snippet.


Book: The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak


Quote:
He tasted dusty and sweet. He tasted like regret in the shadows of trees and in the glow of the anarchist's suit collection.


-&-
Anyone who has read the book will probably know what scene I'm talking about. The Book Thief is seriously a heartbreaking and emotionally draining book, if you haven't yet, please read it!

And if you have read it, did you like it? And isn't Mr. Zusak just... brilliant? Also, have you tried any of his other books?

13 comments:

  1. hey girly! i Ive heard nothing but amazing things about this and i have it but i just need to get in the reading mood gah! lovely quote this book is filled with them cant wait to get into the book fully :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ZOMG The Book Thief!! <33333

    I love this book so, so much. Great quote and I'm glad you love it too.

    It's just so freaking amazing.

    <333

    Oh, oh! I really, really loved I am the Messenger too. Gorgeous. I'm sad though because I haven't been able to read Getting the Girl & Fighting Reuben Wolfe because I can't find them on sale anywhere.Which is totally ridiculous since Zusak is one of my favorite authors, ever, and I haven't read half of his books. Le sigh. But I am so super pumped for BRIDGE OF CLAY. Like even mentioning that book sends me into a state of fangirl squealing. Can't wait!!

    And I was just rereading The Book Thief again yesterday (lawl the second time in the last two weeks) and gahh I fell in love AGAIN.

    Whoa, must stop with comment-spamming.

    <333 The Book Thief <333

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to read it a while ago but thoght it was weird and stoped. Maybe I'll have to try again :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i cannot believe i haven't read this book yet! it sounds really good. i really should get myself a copy, stat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seriously need to read this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! THE BOOK THIEF TOO!! Ahaha, I'm laughing (in my mind) right now. You're right! Zusak is one of a kind...and I've yet to read more of his works. I'm excited :D

    Agh, and I'm in a reading sort of funk too. It irritates me! This is the busiest time and I cannot find time to read and review AT ALL. It's driving me insane. I'm so behind. But anyway...The Book Thief was AWESOME! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. Returning your visit via the blog hop. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard nothing but good things about this book, which really leads me to believe that I should get it from the library.
    One thing though, whenever I click on a link on your page (even seeing older posts) it opens in a different window. I don't know if this is intentional or if it's just my internet or something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read the book thief and own it there's a funny story behind how I got mine too

    October > mail > from a survey I didn't and still don't remember taking

    yup just like that I read it in 8 days longest time to date
    No I haven't tried any of his other books but only because none of them has caught my interest

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aly- Yesss!! Read it!!! hehe, I really hope you LOVE it.

    Choco- OMG YES!! <333 The Book Thief is a fricken treasure. I've read all four of his books, and this one and I Am The MEssenger were my favorites :) All 4 had great writing though. BRIDGE OF CLAY! I WANT!
    Loved your comment :D

    fallenleaf- awwhhh, that's too bad :( I hope you do try it again but if you don't, I'm just happy you tried!

    Erika- Haha, I can't reccommend this enough!!

    AJ- yessss :)

    Justine- haha, I laughed when I saw your post! I was like... no way. Stupid school making us all busy :( it's frying my brain! too much thinking haha.

    Ordinary Reader- thanks for stopping by :)

    -k- I really hope you can try it someday! and yeah, I set it up like that but I'm still kind of iffy whether or not to keep it. I changed it again from "target=blank" to "target=new". Do you find that better?

    kit- haha that's aweseome! I wish I got book for doing random surveys haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw. Your awesomesauce quote just made me so sad again! I LOVED The Book Thief! Very heartbreaking, but beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*