Thursday, June 17, 2010

BR: A Match Made in High School

by Kristin Walker

I'M BACK! Well, I kinda am, I promised Thursday so here's my update, I've just got 2 more final tests tomorrow until school is "officially" over, but then I've got 2 other huge gov tests next week :( Anyways, I have a few posts scheduled, but I'll be back commenting on blogs and stuff this weekend!

Wow, this is like the first novel read in three-ish weeks! I’m sorry for the kinda bumpy review, I’m either rusty or just still kinda stressed! Bear with me :)

Summary: When the principal announces that every senior must participate in a mandatory year-long Marriage Education program, Fiona Sheehan believes that her life can’t get any worse. Then she marries her “husband”: Jerky jock Todd, whose cheerleader girlfriend, Amanda, has had it in for Fiona since day one of second grade. Even worse? Amanda is paired with Fiona’s long-term crush, Gabe. At least Fiona is doing better than her best friend, Marcie, who is paired up with the very quiet, very mysterious Johnny Mercer. Pranks, fights, misunderstandings, and reconciliations ensue in an almost Shakespearean comedy of errors about mistaken first impressions, convoluted coupling, and hidden crushes.

**
My Expectations: Somewhat high, I really thought it would be a hilarious, quick read.

Delivery: Meh, lacked a lot of spark if you know what I mean.

Put-down-ability: pretty high, but does it count that every time I was reading it it was one in the morning? Haha 8/10
**

My Thoughts

The quick and dirty is all said above; I really thought this would be the super funny read to get me through exams. It wasn’t super funny, but I kind of survived the exams so I’m not sure what that says. A rather pointless paragraph aside, here’s the real-ish review.

A Match Made in High School’s premise was quirky and funny enough, a fake marriage course with an exponential amount of things that could go wrong. Pranks started being played, nicknames, new relationships and old rivals, it all started out great. I thought the ideas at the beginning were really fresh and kept me entertained.

However, as the novel wore on it started getting predictable and really “soap-opera-y”. I make it sound worse than it is though, because it wasn’t a terrible one, it was just kind of predictable and messy. There were just so many things going on, and the way Fiona resolved her problems were just bland and not really something I cared about, they felt really forced. The whole cheerleading fiasco/blatant extended metaphor wasn’t my favourite part either.

**Spoilers of Predictability**


Plot aside, another thing this novel lacked majorly was chemistry. The one between Fiona and Johnny was pretty much predictable from maybe a third of the way through, but there was zero spark between the two. It felt like a device to keep the plot away from becoming too cliched but failed.



**End Spoilers**

I am glad Walker stayed away from the whole football player love interest— that might’ve made me want to scream. Fiona and Todd's relationship was constantly changing and remained funny throughout, which is a big plus. Marcie the bff was a fun supporting character as well, as well as the could-have-been-a-*facepalm*-disastrous-plot-device Amanda the cheerleader. Does that make sense?

A thing I did really love about the book was Fiona’s voice. Although some of her revelations were meh, the general tone of the story was so much better because of her. Definitely an enjoyable narrator that was sometimes annoying but sometimes fantastic. You can’t deny she’s witty and original, yes, Senor Shitslacks… :P

Parting Thoughts: I wish it was a bit more. Funnier, more engaging, better characters. However, it wasn’t a disappointment which makes me happy.
Book in HP Terms: Acceptable

7/10 – because I thought it lacked the “oomph” that is critical for these fluffy humour novels to be a success. Definitely recommended for people who want to relive high school with an new twist, read about pranks and interesting characters, or anyone just looking for a light and quick read that doesn’t carry too much clich├ęd-substance. A very funny narrator just comes with the package. C+

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry this book didn't exceed your expectations. I've heard amazing things about it, though so I might still check it out! Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep reading great reviews but the premise and cover just don't pull me in - glad to read a different take on it. I might get to it sometime....

    ReplyDelete
  3. boooo! I've also been expecting mega spark from this book. unfun

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the honest review! It sounds like a good read, something to entertain you for a couple of hours. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Book in HP terms. That is a most awesome way to rate a book- I love it! I do enjoy light, quick reads, but I agree that without a certain special something, they just don't stand out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morgan- yeah, I read amazing reviews about it too! maybe it's just me, haha :( I'd love to know what you think when you read it

    Karen- yeah, just a light fun read :) it might just be me being weird too haha

    brizmus- unfun! love that word :)

    Sara- definitely! No doubt entertaining :D

    Linna- thankss! haha, it came out of nowhere to be honest. I've read some other pretty fantastic reviews about it too, so I hope you can try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review!! I totally agree with what you said about this book. It lacked that "oomph," as you said, although I'd still recommend it to fans of light and fluffy HS novels. I was SO glad that she didn't end up with the jock -- their relationship was probably my favorite part of the book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kris- thank you! and yeah, if she ended up with the jock I mighta had to "fail" this book :P the two were awesome togehter

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*