Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Kiss and Tell (3)

So I was thinking, I don't have any scheduled posts for today! (and for those who are interested, winner of my contest is announced tomorrow :D) Then I remembered that I finally got a book from my school library, and I was horribly off track with my scheduling a Kiss and Tell post...so here it is (like a week late, haha)

Kiss and Tell is a wonderful meme hosted by the awesome Aly at Fantasy 4 Eva. Visit her blog and tell her how cool she is! It's basically a meme where you kinda have a semi-review (or predictions) about a book before you read it. So far, I've been actually pretty good with my predictions. Oh, and I've already read 20 pages of this book. Whoopsies?

Book: Bloom

Author: Elizabeth Scott

Source: School Library

Synopsis (goodreads):
There's a difference between falling and letting go.

Lauren has a good life: decent grades, great friends, and a boyfriend every girl lusts after. So why is she so unhappy?

It takes the arrival of Evan Kirkland for Lauren to figure out the answer: She's been holding back. She's been denying herself a bunch of things (like sex) because staying with her loyal and gorgeous boyfriend, Dave, is the "right" thing to do. After all, who would give up the perfect boyfriend?

But as Dave starts talking more and more about their life together, planning a future Lauren simply can't see herself in -- and as Lauren's craving for Evan, and moreover, who she is with Evan becomes all the more fierce -- Lauren realizes she needs to make a choice...before one is made for her.

Kiss and Tells: 7

Praise:
-Well, I mostly picked this up for the author (I really want to read Perfect You, from what I've read on Alexa's blog!) I've heard she is a fantastic author.
-This one is kinda old, so I haven't really read any reviews

My Thoughts:

Okay, depending on how I feel when the book is over, I might just rant later. But for now, I found it funny how the protagonist talked about reading cliched girl-meets-perfect/new/mysterious-boy, predictable books. Well, 20 pages in, this seems very much like a cliched, girl-meets-old-bestie-and-finds-out-her-bf-sucks type of book. Already, the current boyfriend is a cliched "perfect" bf. Wow, why is it that the author assumes everyone thinks a boy with blond hair, blue eyes, and muscles is attractive? I've seen no personality from him so far.

Things I definitely don't want to see in this book, or I will go bananas. Yes, you heard right, bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.
-The new guy, Evan, has been in love with her since they were young
-She whines about being average, but turns out to be super amazing
-She ditches her best friends who have stuck with her
-a Love Triangle of Doom

As you can probably tell, I might, just might have some problems with it. But I'm only 20 pages in, so it has tons of potential to get better! You Elizabeth Scott fans better be right :)

Wanna know something random? ;)
My mom's hand-scrub thing (the stuff that makes your hands feel all soft after the exfoliating whatever) smells like peach rings!! yumm.

9 comments:

  1. Great kiss and tell. I'd love to try this out!
    I agree with your "Things I definitely don't want to see".
    Sometimes it's okay if some of it happens, but lately, I find it happens often. lol

    I don't know if you've heard, but I have a giveaway on my blog. http://bookmarkyourthoughts.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-new-giveaway-web-of-lies-by-jennifer.html

    Tasha:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I think you may like this one. I think it's very sweet and Evan has great chemistry with Lauren. And Dave is the "perfect boyfriend" but not really in the way you're thinking. Plus Lauren hates that he's so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natasha- I wrote this on a total whim, I kind of want to take some unreasonable things out, but oh well *shrugs* I think I just really wanted a non-cliched novel.

    Michelle- I really hope so. I didn't mean to sound harsh or snappy, it just came out that way (hey, I'm a moodoy person, haha) I don't want to insult the book. I just hope it can really make a statement about originality. I'll post my conclusive thoughts when I finish it, I'm rooting for Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you like it. I really love Bloom, I think it was her first book. If you fall in love with her and want read everything else I'll have a perfect recommendation record :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is brilliant! it's what got me hooked on elizabeth scott, and to this day it remains one of my favorite YA books. hope you enjoy it as much as i did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know im glad you chose this for your kiss and tell, i attempted to read it once and i didnt really finish it, i felt the way you did to be honest, awesome kiss and tell, thanks for participating Audrey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alexa- hope it turns around, I'm almost 100 pages in and it's not looking particularly good :/ If I end up liking it, I'm definitely coming to you for Scott recommendations!

    Erika- I hope so too :S haha, it's okay so far...

    Aly- Yeah, stay tuned for a review once I finish this one, I'm not sure how I'll feel at the end but right now it's just soso (and seriously, Lauren is a bit boy-crazy, not in the fun, cute way but in the omg shut up way...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've made some totally stellar points here, and everything you listed as "don't want to see"? Yeah, well, that's all stuff I don't usually like to see in books either. :D

    (Mmm... peach.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Madeleine- Yeah, I think I was subconciously venting about things I dont like in YA books :P

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*