Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Kiss and Tell (2)

This is a fun new meme started by blueicegal (Aly) from Fantasy4Eva. It is kind of like predicting how much you like a book before you read it!

You can go HERE to find out more about Kiss and Tell. If you check out her links, you can sign up with the Mr. Linky and participate in your own meme! Even if you don't want to do the meme, still check out her blog, it's very pretty :)

Alright, so without futher ado...

Book: Finnikin of the Rock

Author: Melina Marchetta

Source: Candlewick Publishing

Synopsis (from goodreads):
At the age of nine, Finnikin is warned by the gods that he must sacrifice a pound of flesh in order to save the royal house of his homeland, Lumatere.

And so he stands on the rock of three wonders with his childhood friend Prince Balthazar and the prince's cousin, Lucian, and together they mix their blood. And Lumatere is safe.

Until the 'five days of the unspeakable', when the King and Queen and their children are slaughtered in the palace. And an imposter king takes the throne.
And a curse is put on Lumatere, which traps those caught inside and forces thousands of others to roam the land as exiles, dying of fever and persecution in foreign camps.

But ten years later Finnikin is led to another rock to meet the young novice, Evanjalin. A girl plagued by dark dreams, who holds the key to their return to the Land of light...

Kiss and Tells: 9

Praise:
-Alex and Lauren from A Flight of Minds gave it 6/6 bookshelves
-Kristin Cashore blurb on the back
-Uhm...it's by Melina Marchetta. I think that's praise enough.

My Thoughts:
I go into this book with high expectations, and expecting big things. Melina Marchetta is one of my absolute favourite authors, and her books are all amazing. This is her first go at a fantasy novel but I'm pretty sure it will still be full of her usual awesomeness! Thank you Candlewick for a review copy :)

Wanna know something not-really-random?
I am having a Criminal Minds marathon this weekend with one of my besties! So excited, so I'm working really hard this week so I can relax over the weekend. Also, this probably means no Blog Hop, but there will be a scheduled Friday's Finest. Sorry I couldn't think of anything random-er at the moment :0

And don't forget to enter my Spirit Bound & The Demon's Covenant contest, open International, ends 5/18!!! Go HERE to enter if you haven't already :D

6 comments:

  1. You will not be disappointed. This book is fabulous but it does take a while to get in to, do not give up though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually haven't heard of this, it sounds pretty good, and oww make sure you get lots of rest before the marathon and relax, and good luck, ps just sign up to the mr linky of my recent kiss and tell so that others know you have participated in this weeks kiss and tell, thanks for joining in girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one looks great! I hadn't heard of it before, thanks for pointing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alexa- It's been good so far! Started off a tiny bit slow (like first 10 pages) but I'm loving Evanjalin! (and finnikin :P) I'm only like 30 pages in though.

    blueicegal- super excited for the marathon! haha i really need a break from school :P And I like this meme, thanks for hosting i :)

    Carrie- I recommend you try other Melina Marchetta books!! they are amazing :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melina Marchetta! I've been dying to read more books by her ever since Jellicoe Road blew me away (I have to agree that being by Melina is praise enough!). It seems like she's treading entirely new ground here, which is, of course, totally awesome. Aaah, I can't wait to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linna- I know, MM! haha, Jellicoe is one of my favourite books, and I was impressed that she tackled fantasy.

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*