Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday's Finest (14)


Friday's Finest
is a new meme hosted by Steff & Justine from A Bookful of Thoughts.

Rules:
~Post a quote that really stuck to you after reading it in a book.
~Make sure it isn't a spoiler!
~If you'd like, expand on what you think it means and why you chose it.
**

Wow, I've had an incredibly slow reading week. No books finished, only about halfway through Bloom by Elizabeth Scott. So, this time I'm just picking one of my favourite books off my bookshelf. Plus, I remember there was a quote in it I really liked for weird reasons I can't fully explain.
**Warning: Minor Spoilers**



Book: Ballads of Suburbia
by Stephanie Kuehnert

Quote:
I betrayed her and I also betrayed her brother.

Liam, the beautiful boy I should have loved if I'd known what was good for me. Liam, as loyal as his Irish eyes were green. I can't even count the nights that he listened to me while we wandered the town, smoking cigarettes and shivering against the cold, midwestern winter wind.

-&-

('speaker' is Maya, one of the protagonist's friends. This quote is from Maya's ballad; if you read the book you'd know what I'm talking about.)

Something about this just resonates with me, I think it might have just the situation at the time in the book, and how depressed I felt, it takes talent to evoke that much emotion. Or maybe how she used "beautiful boy" which I don't really know why, but I really liked it. Or just how the description worked in the book... lots of reasons to choose from. Plus, I loved Liam in this book, despite how messed up everything was. And yes, things got pretty messed up.

Anyways, this is a stunning book, you can read my review of it here. Stephanie Kuehnert is a wonderful author.

Have you read this book before? And what are you favourite quotes?

9 comments:

  1. Good selection. I loved that book! I read it last year so I don't remember any specific quotes though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really have to read this book. It sounds great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely ADORE this book, and you chose a great quote! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep hearing good things about this book, and now I want to know more. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this one but it sounds good. I'm adding it to my wish list.
    Happy hoppin! Hope you'll check out my giveaways.
    Natalie

    Have a great weekend ---

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful quote! I love the term 'beautiful boy'. I haven't read Ballads of Suburbia yet, but it is on my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Im hopping over from the Hop.
    I`d just like to say I LOVE your blog! hehe

    -The moody teenager

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, so many comments! <3 you guys

    Karen- wasn't the book fab?

    Michelle- I defnitely reccommend it, it's gritty but really good.

    Natalie- I'm so happy you did! and thank you

    Beverley- will do :)

    Nina- you should definitely try it :)

    Natalie- happy hopping to you too! I hope you can read it one day :D

    Violet- I don't know what it is about that, it kinda just calls to me, you know? I love that term too.

    ME aka moody teenager ;)- thank you! i'm off to visit yours!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*