Thursday, May 13, 2010

BR: The Reckoning

by Kelley Armstrong

I’ve been waiting forever for this one! About time the library got it, I was pretty low on the waiting list too, so I’ve been pretty antsy. If you want to, read my reviews of the first two books in the trilogy, The Summoning and The Awakening. And just a heads up, I know this review is all over the place, like my brain is right now.

Summary (goodreads):
Only two weeks ago, life was all too predictable. But that was before I saw my first ghost. Now, along with my supernatural friends Tori, Derek, and Simon, I’m on the run from the Edison Group, which genetically altered us as part of their sinister experiment. We’re hiding in a safe house that might not be as safe as it seems. We’ll be gone soon anyway, back to rescue those we’d left behind and to take out the Edison Group... or so we hope.

**
My Expectations: Kinda in the middle, I’ve read mixed reviews, but enjoyed books 1 & 2. I hoped it would be as good as them.

Delivery: Fell short of my hopes, met my expectations.

Put-down-ability: 6/10 a ton of action, but didn’t always hold my attention.
**

My Thoughts

I will say, this Darkest Powers conclusion has been on my wishlist for the longest time, and this review will include spoilers (which is inevitable in a book #3 review) but I will keep them really minor if I can.

So I liked this one. It wasn’t fantastic, but it was a good, action-packed mad scramble to the finish line. Such a scramble that it felt as if people were falling over one another, scratching and tripping on their way. Bad metaphor aside, I just felt this book recycled and spat out characters and plot lines. Bad people chase them. Mystery unveiled. Contemplate escape. Escape. Fight goons/raise dead people. Repeat. (not really, but this is kind of the gist of the series)

My opinion of this book might have been influenced by the fact that I didn’t really remember the world/characters much from the series, it’s been a long time between The Awakening and The Reckoning. I would get confused with the ‘rules’ or whatever when Chloe raised dead people/spirits (what was the difference?) but this is jut bad memory on my part. If you like a fast-paced plot, you would love this series. Seriously, the books only cover a few weeks!

The mystery aspect was really great, I could never tell who was a good guy, who was a bad guy; it kept me on my toes and kept me guessing. Lots of fun, I must say.

Some scenes I felt were unnecessary, along with some mysteries not really tied up, just kind of trailed off and disappeared. Not sure if this was intentional or not, but there were some stories that just seemed incomplete. There's another 'companion' series planned, I'm pretty sure they're bringing back the Edison Group and Co.

The writing was good, as usual. No breathtaking literary devices, but it was solid. I do really like Chloe’s voice, I think Armstrong captured the narration of a 15 year old reasonably well. I did wish there was more about Chloe’s love for movies, or some of her other hobbies from her old life, it seemed she was too focused on the boys at times.

One thing I disliked about Chloe was how calmly she took everything thrown at her. It’s like, “look, the evilest demon ever! Okay! Moving on… Bad guys with guns? Let’s go!”, she took everything in stride and never took any time to, uhm… freak out? I know that’s what I would have been doing, haha. I’m happy she has her realsitic faults though, and I felt she could be too forgiving at times. She really kept Derek in line ;)

Simon and Tori were both pretty awesome in this one, I was never annoyed with them (which is saying something, I’ve been pretty moody lately) and they developed decently well for characters sitting in the background, I do wish they were more central though. And Derek was his good ol' happy-go-lucky self. Did anyone catch the sarcasm? Let's just say he was brooding-ly awesome. Oh, and heads up, there are quite a few deaths in the story… dun dun dunnn!! (hopefully that’s not too spoilery)

Simon or Derek? Let’s just say I’m happy with the choice =)

Alright, let’s wrap this one up, it’s definitely not one of my best reviews :s I know, it seems like my thoughts are just all jumbled and I can't really write what I want to, it comes out sounding.. ech. I'm sorry!

8/10 – because it had a great, action filled plot and mystery and awesome characters to root for. Chloe is a great protagonist and a pretty wicked necromancer, the villains had their own twisted, intriguing plot, and the climax fight scene was gripping. Only tidbits I disliked were some feelings of repetitiveness, unneeded characters and scenes, along with a lack of development in minor characters. Overall though, not the best, but a good conclusion to one of the only paranormal series I’ve read! 8/10 is a B.

Recommended for paranormal lovers! I hope you love it more than I did :) this was a great series.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! This was pretty much my exact review haha I like it but thought there was much room for improvement, but I did think this was the best in the series so I have it 5/5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some of the same complaints as you but I didn't like it as much. The action was just a repeat and I had problems staying awake reading this one. I even wished for more Tori to liven things up!!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liked the review. I have orderd the book a couple of days ago, and I hope it arrives very soon. Ooh I cannot wait to read this one, especially finding out if she's going with Derek (I HOPE) or Simone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah- I'm really glad you liked the series, it's really awesome!

    Karen- I know what you mean, I put this one down more than once. Even though I read the other ones over a year ago, it still felt as if I've seen it all before.

    Nina- I really hope you like it ;)

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*