Tuesday, April 6, 2010

"movies In My brain": Tearjerkers!

movies In My brain is a week-long shin-dig hosted by me where awesome book bloggers post movie-related stuff! It runs from Apr 5-9, and ANYONE can participate. If you post a movie-related post, leave a comment and I will link it here!

Today's post will be on tearjerker movies. It will include honorable mentions that left my eyes kind of watery but nothing major. Then some movies that made my eyes waterfalls! And I just want to say that I am NOT a crier. I only rarely tear up from books, and rarely in movies. And like never in real life. So these movies must be sad.

Disclaimer: my opinions only! And I haven't seen every movie out there, nor do I have the memory of an elephant so I will only list movies I remember! Also, I might tell you which parts I cried in, so THERE WILL BE SPOILERS!!


Honorable mentions:


The Green Mile
-I know, I was surprised too. Not usually a huge fan of Tom Hanks (don't kill me!) but when that miracle worker big guy got electrocuted...maybe a bit of blurred vision.


The Notebook
-Okay, so a bunch of my friends say they bawl every time they see this movie, but I guess not me. I didn't cry when Noah left, or when Ally was chose Noah over Lon, but I did cry in the end when Noah went to find Ally in the hospital and they both died peacefully in each other's arms. So... perfectly sad.


The Time Traveler's Wife
-I adore Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana, but when Henry was nearing death, and especially when he meets his time-traveling daughter, I was pretty teary. The movie wasn't anything amazing, but still worth watching.


PS- I Love You

-Do I really need to say anything? Throughout the whole movie, I was near tears. I have to admit though, I didn't actually cry. It was such a warm, fun, sad, but uplifting movie. I mean, you can tell just from the description that tissues are a requirement.


The Hurt Locker
-Weird choice, I know. It's definitely not the sappy romance with a long lost/dead love. There was just this one scene at the end of the movie, where the main character just didn't have enough time to disarm a bomb. And he keeps saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" and I just felt so bad.


...
Okay, now to the
actual tearjerkers...


A Walk to Remember
-I have a feeling I should stay away from movies based on Nicholas Sparks' books, because for those who read his books, you know what type of gut-wrenching twists he has... I just loved this movie. My mom thinks it's cheesy and lame, but hey! I'm cheesy and lame =P
-I was pretty much crying when Jamie's death loomed closer and Landon was doing all that stuff for her... *sniff


Marley and Me
-Okay, for those who watched the movie, if you didn't cry you are crazy!! When Marley is sick and then when he died, I was crying and so were all my friends and everyone in the theatre. Amazing acting, and I have a soft spot for dogs.


My Sister's Keeper
-Countless, and I mean countless times I was crying, I had to pause the movie and get more tissues! It didn't matter if it was a flashback, it was a moving scene, a fight, or just one of those 'moments' I just ended up with tears rolling down my face. I swear, probably the saddest movie I've ever seen. Of course, maybe the fact that I watched it at 1 in the morning with a carton of ice-cream doesn't help ;) *applauds Abigail Breslin and Cameron Diaz*



-&-

So what are movies that made you cry? Leave a comment telling me! And if you write a post of your own tearjerkers, I'll make sure to link it to my intro post!!

8 comments:

  1. I cry easily :'( so tend to stay away from the tearjerkers. However, Titanic made me cry so hard (though that was a long time ago). And another popular tearjerker is Grave of the Fireflies (which I haven't watched). Anyway, I enjoyed your post! Keep 'em coming! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Just like Elle I tend to stay away from tearjerkers, since I'm so emotional and cry during most movies I watch. I cry from sadness, I cry from happiness - I'm a cryer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elle- Aww, I know what you mean! Most of my family (well, the ladies) are emotional too! I try to stay away from the super sappy movies, but some movies I just can't miss.
    And I watched Titanic when I was really young, so I guess I would have cried had I been older. It was a sad movie though. I've never heard of Grave of the Fireflies, but if it's sad, I might stay away.

    YA Vampire Books- I know some people that are really emotional too :) you're not alone. I don't go out seeking for tearjerkers, (I never knew about Marley, and I wanted to watch MSK because of the book!) Sometimes I'm completely caught by surprise and up bawling, but I like those movies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I haven't watched or read My Sisters Keeper because I don't want to CRY..LOL Though everyone keeps telling me I really need to, I like but hate tearjearker movies a the same time..lol

    Great post on movies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ladystorm- haha, that is *very* good reasoning! One of my friends actually seek out movies that will make her cry, it's so cute :P I know what you mean by loving/hating tearjerkers, for me it usually depends on my mood.
    thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cry at everything! haha
    But from your list I have cried at The Notebook, The Time Traveler's Wife, A Walk to Remember, and probably most of all P.S. I Love You. I don't think I cried at Marley & Me, and I haven't seen The Green Mile or The Hurt Locker

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elisabeth- you're not the only one! lol. And those movies were sad! thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, Marley and Me DESTROYED me!
    Time Traveller's Wife and My Sister's Keeper did too of course but that Marley...

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*