Tuesday, April 6, 2010

"movies In My brain": Movie Thoughts - Julie & Julia


Julie & Julia is based on two true stories. Julie is lost, stuck in an government job working inside a cubicle and turning 30. She doesn’t have her dream job as a writer, and is known to never finish a project. So, she decides to spend 365 days cooking through legendary Julia Child’s cookbook (524 recipes, I believe).

Meanwhile, a dual storyline takes us back to the 1940-50’s where we follow Julia Child (the amazing Meryl Streep) and her ‘adventures’ in cooking, how she participates in the all-male cooking class, learns how to bone a duck, and how she tries to write a cookbook “Mastering the Art of French Cooking” which will be in English with some friends.

My Thoughts:

So.. I thought that this movie was strongest in acting, more specifically the acting of Meryl Streep. Amy Adams (Julie Powell year 2002) is strong, but I thought her character was lacking. Julia Child, however, lit up the screen whenever she was present, and the flamboyant character coupled with a fantastic, Oscar-worthy, performance kind of stole the show. I thought her husband was very cool too, very supportive and loving. He plays the rapist in The Lovely Bones, btw.

I didn’t particularly like Julie Powell (the present day one), and maybe this was because I never really felt the character growth. It kind of went from the revelation “oh my god, I am a narcissist” to “okay, I changed, everything is alright now.” I thought the scene when her husband came back was very anticlimactic, and very “okay, problem fixed”. It just didn’t feel as genuine as it could have.

The story itself was okay, not really anything amazing though. And it made me curious about cooking (since I fail at making toast). The food that was made looked pretty darn delicious, on screen that is.

Popcorn Review: A food-filled dual storyline film following two women trying to “find themselves” that left me satisfied but not bloated (if you know what I mean).

Rating: 7.5/10


7 comments:

  1. Wasn't sure about this movie, I tried reading the book and didn't get very far, it was just boring. I love Meryl Streep though so someday I might give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read the book, not usually a fan of non-fiction. :P
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started watching this with a friend, but never got around to finishing it. It had a strong start. Oh, and all the lovely food made my mouth water! Once I finish I'll probably write a review on it too. The only reason I wanted to watch it was because of Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. :) If you liked the duo here, watch Doubt, which is an amazing movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the book was terrible but watched the movie anyway...it was boring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not my type of movie - but Meryl Street is always entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elle- haha, you're right! the food in the movie looked delicious :P

    throuthehaze- awe, too bad. Some movies aren't for everybody ;) I'm totally guilty of that

    Dwayne- Yes she is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought the lady who wrote the book was a little crazy...she didn't seem anything like her movie character. I adored the movie though. I loved Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci as a couple. They were so adorable. ;P

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*