Friday, April 9, 2010

"movies In My brain": Awesome Actors and Actresses Acting Awesomely


movies In My brain is a week-long shin-dig hosted by me where awesome book bloggers post movie-related stuff! It runs from Apr 5-9, and ANYONE can participate. If you post a movie-related post, leave a comment and I will link it here!
**

I was gonna have the Top 10 Songs from Movies be the last post of the week, but I just had to include a list last minute! Enjoy :)

As you can tell by that minor spell of alliteration, this post will be about actresses and actors that can seriously act! Their performances steal the scenes, their lines are made memorable, and their whole persona is made of awesome… Well, in a role. Because even amazing actors can flop.

I am including the specific movies in which I found them awesome in as well, because some actors have off days too! I’ll try and keep this sort-of short. And these actors are mostly semi-recent, because I’m just not such a big ‘classics’ movie fan. And I really really need to watch the Godfather =p

Actors

Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean
-Is a comment required? He steals every scene in this movie. Jack Sparrow is one of the greatest characters ever.

Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump
-Life is like a box of chocolates. The movie was made awesome by Mr. Hanks.

Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs



Jeremy Renner in The Hurt Locker
-excellent. Exceedingly excellent.


Leonardo DiCaprio in Blood Diamond
-All around, strong acting that made the movie better.


Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight
-Why. So. Serious?


Matt Damon in The Bourne trilogy, and the Oceans trilogy
-as Bourne: he can act, he can fight, he looks good doing it (I know I’m shallow)
-in Oceans: I love his role, like the little kid looking up to the big bad guys.


Golum/Smeagol in Lord of the Rings
-my prreciousssssssssssss


Paul Rudd in I Love You, Man
-“Slappin da bass, man” "Totes Magotes." He’s hilarious. And he also rules as Mike Hannigan in Friends.


Sasha Baron Cohen in Borat and Bruno
-does this even need an explanation? Crude, disgusting, provocative, but funny.



Actresses

Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blonde *gasp* what?? Haha, throw in Walk the Line as well
-“Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. And happy people just don’t kill their husbands.” I still remember that, she was awesome.


Ellen Page in Juno
- “You should've gone to China, you know, 'cause I hear they give away babies like free iPods. You know, they pretty much just put them in those t-shirt guns and shoot them out at sporting events.”


Keira Knightley in Pride and Prejudice and Pirates of the Caribbean
-mostly because she had a nice accent, and I loved the movie in general. Even Mr. Darcy. (but I love the book more!)
-she was fantastic in Pirates too. Way to break the woman-in-that-time stereotype!


Meryl Streep in Julie & Julia (plus a ton of other ones)
-no wonder why she gets so many Oscar nominations. A terrific actress in many genres.


Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta
-I thought the scenes where she was in captivity were awesome. She’s so pretty too!


Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side and The Proposal
-She can do serious. She can do funny. She is amazing. Logical? I think so!

-&-

Yes, I know there was an overuse of awesome in this post =p just conveying my thoughts!

Thank you all for participating in my Movie Week!! It's been tons of fun, and I hope you check out my other posts (found in the top right sidebar) and other blogs' posts! You can expect a small wrap-up post tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. Those are all great actors and actresses. I especially like Keira Knightley and Johnny Depp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from the blog hop! I'm a scary movie addict, so today's post is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow must be the best and most hilarious movie character ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a day late but...Javier Bardem is a great actor particularly when he is acting in movies in his native Spanish. He's also not afraid to take on roles that others would fear as I've seen him play a gay character a few times in movies that made 'Brokeback Mountain' seem like a kids movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I <3 Johnny Depp (in whatever movie he stars in, actually)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morgan- aren't they just amazing?

    Dawn- hello and welcome!

    YA Vampire Books- I know! I love him so so much (it's hard to distinguish which one..Johnny Depp or Jack? Not sure...)

    BookMarc- haha, I wouldn't know any Spanish movies :o but he sounds great. I love actors who push the envelope or work outside the box.

    Dwayne- me too, me too

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at Johnny Depp! I love all of your picks, and have no idea how you managed to condense them into 10 item lists! Ocean's Eleven, Twelve, and Thirteen are some of my favorite movies and Matt Damon is fantastic in all of them I must agree.

    Great post!
    -Cara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cara- haha, he is awesome :) and Matt Damon is too!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*