Tuesday, April 13, 2010

because I am a Bandwagoner: My Thoughts On: Top 100 YA Books

So, like the title states, I've seen this topic around the blogosphere after the very awesome April from Good Books & Wine created the list. List was voted on by us bloggers, and I (shamelessly copying Chick Loves Lit, Sharon Loves books and Cats, and Reading Angel) wanted to maybe add a few comments to what I thought of the list.

In bold are books I've read. In italics are my comments :)

100. Hate List by Jennifer Brown (should be higher. definitely higher than Among the Hidden...)
99. Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix
98. A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly
97. Among The Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (not my cup of YA tea, maybe Grade 7 tea...)
96. Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Claus (I honestly don't remember this one, just remember that I've read it)
95. Forever by Judy Blume
94. The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
93. Tithe by Holly Black
92. Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott
91. Wings by Aprillynne Pike
90. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (#90? blasphemous!)
89. Angus, Thongs And Full Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison
88. Marked by PC And Kristin Cast
87. Maximum Ride series by James Patterson (fun series, I guess. #4 was atrocious though.)
86. The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
85. 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (Actually, I only read half o it. Which means that I don't think it should be ahead of Katherines!)
84. I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak (should be wayy higher. less than 50 for sure just b/c Zusak is amazing)
83. Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (haha, good times in Grade 6! disliked it though.)
82. The Mediator series by Meg Cabot
81. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen (cute book!)
80. Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (not a cute book...)
79. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
78. Along For The Ride by Sarah Dessen (and this one is cute! Could have been ranked higher but then all those Dessen books kind of meld together. I think a collection of Dessen books should be all considered same-ish, and somewhere around #30)
77. Evernight by Claudia Gray
76. If I Stay by Gayle Foreman (and this one's sad... should be higher)
75. Life As We Knew It series by Susan Beth Pfeffer (interesting dystopian, very unique and real-ish)
74. Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston
73. The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (on my TBR!)
72. Alana: The First Adventure series by Tamora Pierce (OMG, how is this not higher?! It like, defines fantasy for me... has everything: heroine, swords, fights, mystery, monsters, good lookin thieves...)
71. Stardust by Neil Gaiman
70. Unwind by Neil Shusterman (yay! glad it made the list)
69. Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
68. Paper Towns by John Green (nerdfighters, I am VERY disappointed in you... this is terrible! The completely biased me thinks this should be higher, top 40.)
67. Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles (um, on scale of likability/swoonability, this is higher. but on a scale of "Top Books", I think this was more average-ish romancey book.)
66. A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith
65. Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (not my style)
64. The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time by Mark Haddon (on my TBR)
63. The Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell (wow, how old is this book?! I think I read it in grade 7, and even then it was super worn and battered. Don't remember it o: )
62. Blue Bloods series by Melissa De La Cruz (nuh-uh. Perfect Schuyler can take her blood sucking series elsewhere! just kidding, but that aside, would have probably ranked it lower)
61. Go Ask Alice by Anonymous (didn't connect much with this book, but however, in a "Top Books" list, it could be higher)
60. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (funny and insightful!! A recommended read and should be bumped up!)
59. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (fluff-fest, what is it doing in top 60?)
58. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen (yay, my favourite Dessen book :D )
57. Eragon by Christopher Paoloni (liked this one quite a bit, good storytelling that is veering off as the saga continues)
56. Morganville Vampires series by Rachel Caine
55. The Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith
54. Fallen by Lauren Kate
53. The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
52. The Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot (I read the first book. #52? maybe a bit high)
51. Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke (great series. ranked pretty well)
50. Number The Stars by Lois Lowry (could be higher, Lowry is a fantastic author)
49. Lord Of The Flies by William Golding (woo, allegory ftw! I was, one of the few people in my calss, who actually liked the book)
48. The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Exciting read! ahead of LOTF? mehh, probs not)
47. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares (good ol' fluff, one of the defining books of my Grade 6-7 year... c'mon we all had a "sisterhood" right?)
46. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (heard soo many good things about it!)
45. The Summoning series by Kelley Armstrong (ranked too high, I think. but it is a 'gripping' series, I must say. Can't wait to read #3)
44. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (LOVED this book! WAY too LOW! I'm a jay Asher fangirl :P)
43. Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson (Ahh, one of the best books I read last summer!! Too low!)
42. Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card
41. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
40. Wake series by Lisa McMann (not really my favourite series... too high, I think)
39. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
38. Are You There Good? It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume (sure, why not? Awesome book for tween girls!)
37. Looking For Alaska by John Green (Yay John Green! Woot! Paper Towns is still my favourite though)
36. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (read this when I was a lot younger... great book)
35. A Great And Terrible Beauty series by Libba Bray (awesome, fantastical historical fiction! what's not to love? Pretty perfect placing, I must say)
34. His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman (very good series. Voted pretty well, I think)
33. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
32. Romeo And Juliet by William Shakespeare
31. The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
30. Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr (I disliked #1, haven't read the others, so of course I would conclude this is a bit high)
29. Forest of Hands And Teeth by Carrie Ryan (uhm, considering the books it is ahead of, it might have been ranked a bit high. Those zombie lovers did their job though :D)
28. Holes by Louis Sacher (liked it.. in like grade 6. Love it even more how Melina Marchetta used it as an idea for Jellicoe. brownie points!)
27. The Outsiders by SE Hinton (OMG this should be TOP 10!! AMAZING BOOK)
26. The Catcher In The Rye by JD Salinger (TOP 20! Or even top 10, this book is excellent. I know, I'm sorry but I usually like the books assigned by teachers!)
25. The Princess Bride by William Goldman
24. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (Top 10 worthy. One of my favourite books ever)
23. The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank (uhmm, in a Top Books list, it is placed very well, I think. Personal tastes, maybe a bit high)
22.Uglies series by Scott Westerfield (Couldn't finish Pretties tbh. But Uglies was enjoyable, and I thought Westerfeld's idea was very cool)
21. Beautiful Creatures by Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia (I'm actually reading this right now!)
20. Poison Study series by Maria V. Snyder (take out the "series", I would whole-heartedly agree. #1 = hyperventilatingly awesome. #2-3, not for me)
19. Book Thief by Markus Zusak (OMG TOP 5!!! MAYBE EVEN #1!! BLASPHEMY!)
18. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carlson Levine (how is this ahead of The Book Thief?!?!)
17. Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead (enjoyability = high. Rose is a kick-ass protagonist)
16. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (Uhmm, no. No. Maybe around Top 50-100)
15. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (TBR)
14. Anne of Green Gables series by LM Montgomery (TBR)
13. The Giver by Lois Lowry (I can see how it placed this high, a great "Top Book" book. I personally didn't like it though)
12. The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare (the ending of Book 1 made me not read the other books. Those of you who read it, you know what I'm talking about. And by now, I already know what happens :/)
11. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (too high. way too high, disliked the romance--which was like, everything for this book)
10. Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis (only read #2 LW&W. Pretty awesome, but ranked too high. It wasn't that special imo)
9. A Wrinkle In Time series by Madeline L'engle (Another conflicting good "top Book"/not enjoyed novel for me)
8. Graceling series by Kristin Cashore (WOOO loved it!)
7. Percy Jackson And The Olympians by Rick Riordan (Hurray! Excellent series, perhaps ranked a bit high though)
6. Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan (uhm, am I reading this right? It was a great book, I will say, but #6? Really??)
5. Pride And Prejudice by Jane Austen (Yeah, baby. Where's my Mr. Darcy?)
4. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Should be #1/2. Glad it got ranked high though. If it was like, #55 I would be upset)
3. Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer (NO. I can see how people voted it though, very wide fan base)
2. Harry Potter series by JK Rowling (HOW IS THIS #2?!?!??! NOOOOOO! This book is my childhood. I'm not even kidding, it is the best series EVAR. EVAR)
1. The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins (I can see how it was voted #1. Disagree, though. I personally feel it's the hype... I did love the book though.)


STATS:

I've read 18 of the Top 20.

42 of the Top 50.

69 of the Top 100.
I'm impressed with myself, not to toot my own horn or something :D

My Thoughts:

I think there's a fine line when voting on something like "Top 100 Book" lists. There's the line between (I'm really hesitant to say this,) quality and likability. Between hype and timelessness. I can't see some of these Top 20 books not withstanding the test of time, yet I can see a book like The Book Thief being around for ages. The hype (as you can tell by the results of The Hunger Games being #1) makes the list a tad less credible, and this is in NO WAY a dig at April. She is awesome and amazing, and thank you so much for compiling the list!

For example, Ke$ha isn't gonna be around in 10 years (I will bet money on this) but she is popular right now. I do think Hunger Games will be around for a long time, but it will fall short to a Beyonce (like The Book Thief). Get it? kind of? okay, okay, sorry for the horrendous analogy.

Lastly... I AM INSANELY UPSET THAT JELLICOE ROAD BY MELINA MARCHETTA WASN'T ON THE LIST *cries*

Some books were too high, some books were too low. Again, my comments are MY OWN OPINIONS on the book. NO OFFENSE was intended.

8 comments:

  1. Nice list, I have seen it around. I have read a few some are on my tbr list and some probably should be that aren't. Out of the top Ten I wouldn't even place Harry Potter or Twilight but that is just me. Don't get me wrong I liked them well enough but I like others better.

    Just goes to show we are all different when it comes to favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally understand where you're coming from, all our different tastes make the blogosphere go 'round :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally agree with some of your comments, there are alot of books there that should have been in the top 20 at least that wont, but i have to say great collection, thanks for your thoughts and putting it up girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen this list. I've read 48 of the 100 and agree that I personally would have arranged the placement of some books. Ditto on Jellicoe Road not being on the list.

    (Here from The Hop)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't seen this but I am traumatized that Melina isn't even on the list!!!!

    And only one Elizabeth Scott book?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! I'm visiting from the Saturday Network. Sorry for the long comment... x)

    I was going to comment on a more recent post but... I agree so much with your thoughts here. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian, Jellicoe Road not even being mentioned (o_o), I Am The Messenger... I really wish they ranked higher. Don't get me started on The Book Thief. #19? What?!? And The Goose Girl really surprised me, too. Only 94... it was such an amazing book :)

    And, okay, I just read a bunch of your archived reviews because I LOVED a lot of those books and wanted to know what you thought. I'm loving your review style- it's funny and honest and *high fives fellow Canadian* I rock at riding polar bears btw. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aly- I know, i was disappointed to see some books ranked so low, and some books ranked too high. Thanks!

    Alexa- I KNOW RIGHT?! *sniff*

    Linna- Thanks for visiting!! I'm not sure if I'm more upset about Jellicoe missing the list, or The Book Thief at 19 =( I should read the Goose Girl though, it sounds interesting!
    And thank you so much for your lovely compliment *blushes* but you should know I can take you on ANY DAY for that polar bear race! CHAMP! just kiddin ;) Woot for Canadians!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nise- whoopsies, I missed your comment :o thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*