Friday, March 12, 2010

Friday's Finest (6)

Friday's Finest is a new meme hosted by Steff & Justine from A Bookful of Thoughts.
Rules:
~Post a quote that really stuck to you after reading it in a book.
~Make sure it isn't a spoiler!
~If you'd like, expand on what you think it means and why you chose it.

I'm gonna stock up on these memes (except I just returned a book I loved without first writing down quotes I loved! darn!)

This is a book by one of my favourite authors, and I've recently reread it because... just face it, I wanted to experience it again. And just for the sake of it, I'm gonna use two quotes.


Book: Saving Francesca
by Melina Marchetta

Quote 1: I can't believe I've said it out loud. The truth doesn't set you free, you know. It makes you feel awkward and embarrassed and defenceless and red in the face and horrified and petrified and vulnerable. But free? I don't feel free. I feel like shit."


Quote 2:
"I look past them to where Will and his friends are sitting and he catches my eye for a moment and smiles. It's a weird smile, but it reaches his eyes and I bottle it. And I put it in my ammo pack that's kept right next to my soul. The one that holds Mia's scent and Justine's spirit and Siobhan's hope and Tara's passions. Because if I'm going to wake up one morning and not be able to get out of bed, I'm going to need everything I've got to fight this bastard of a disease that could be sleeping inside of me."


I find the first one absolutely true, and the second one so inspiring. I wish I had little bottles to collect up the moments that take my breath away, and save them for a rainy day to relive over and over again.

Which one did you like more? Have you read any books by Melina Marchetta (shame on you if you haven't; Melina Marchetta is to me, as David Levithan is to Khy. Do you see how serious this is?!?) Your quotes?

3 comments:

  1. Such beautiful quotes! I love them! Sounds like this book might be extraordinarily touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, and trust me, the book is heartfelt, heartwarming, and heartbreaking. and excellent read :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant book. The second is my absolute favourite, and I'd forgotten about the first! Thanks for bringing it to my attention again.
    Quotes you ask?

    1.) They're all the same. Cynical Tara, couldn't-give-a-shit Siobhan, romantic Justine. And I want to cry. Because my face looks just like theirs and I haven't felt like anyone else since I was in Year Seven and Siobhan Sullivan and I did the Macarena in the foyer of the chapel and got lunchtime detention for a week.

    2.) "You know what I think?" Tara Finke says on the bus home... Don't say it, I want to scream at her. Don't say anything. Mind your own business, you loser. Don't intellectualise my misery. Tara Finke knows nothing but words that mean nothing when your insides are in pieces. "We have an Alanis night."

    3.) I think I'm a bit in love with these girls. They make me feel giddy. Like I haven't a care in the world. Like I'm fearless. Like I used to be.

    And of course there's many more... Such a real book.

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*