Monday, March 15, 2010

Author Appreciation Week: Melina Marchetta



Author Appreciation Week was started by the lovely Heidi R. Kling, author of the upcoming awesome novel Sea (And Sarah from Novel Novice made the awesome banner). Author Appreciation Week runs from March 15-19, 2010, and basically anyone who wants to can post about authors that they, you know, appreciate.

After rereading obsessively (I don't use that term lightly) Saving Francesca and On the Jellicoe Road by the amazing Australian author Melina Marchetta, I have deemed her my favourite author. Well, second favourite, but I don't like to count JK Rowling who basically defined my childhood with her Harry Potter series. So after JK, it's Melina.


And I just wanted to say, I've never interviewed or emailed her ever, I just admire her from afar, and read her books over and over again being completely in love with her prose and characterization. I feel these things are the stuff you can expect from her, a narrator who is just so perfectly flawed, human, and real.

I've only read three of her novels, Looking for Alibrandi, Saving Francesca, and On The Jellicoe Road. I'm dying to read Finnikin of the Rock, and I kind of want to stab the lucky arses in Australia who can read her fifth book, The Piper's Son (about Thomas Mackee from Francesca!!).


Here is a beautiful line I adore from On the Jellicoe Road:


"It happened on the Jellicoe Road. The prettiest road I have ever seen where trees made breezy canopies like a tunnel to Shangri-La." I memorized it.... yeah. sue me :p


I've stalked all her interviews I could find, and I especially love the ones she has with Adele of Persnickety Snark. Very insightful, and some unique and awesome questions asked.

I can't recommend Melina Marchetta's novels enough, and I just wanted to give her a shout out and tell her that she should be happy her books can have such a profound and meaningful impact on her readers :)


EDIT 3/18/10: I read a really cool take on AAW over at Not Enough Bookshelves, where she thanked authors for writing characters who lingered in our thoughts long after reading a book. Check out her post Here :) So (copying shamelessly).. I wanted to thank Melina for writing about the 5 kids on the Jellicoe Road who were amazing and inspiring and every other adjective in the dictionary that defines tears and happiness, thank you for Jonah Griggs and Taylor Markham, thank you for tackling tough issues with such poise and sincerity, for Francesca, Thomas Mackee, Tara Finke, and the Alibrandis. You deserve all the recognition in the world.


Most of all, thank you for writing a book that I love so freaking much it's retarded.

Love,

Audrey

7 comments:

  1. I loved Saving Francesca, it's one of my favorites! Go Melina Marchetta! Great pick :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave you a blog award! Here it is: http://thedoortowonderland.blogspot.com/2010/03/i-got-blog-award.html.

    -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Melina!!! and I adore Jellicoe!!

    I did a AAW post on Melina too and linked to you! I hope that's okay...

    www.yabliss.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirthi- I love it too :)
    Kelsey- Thank you so much! my first award! whee!!
    Sab H.- isn't Jellicoe like the best book ever? ;) Thanks for the link love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with everything you've stated in this post. MM rules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the link. I adore Melina Marchetta too. I actually wrote a longer post today about why :)

    You should write her and tell her what her books mean to you.

    And I too am desperate for The Piper's Son! I can't wait to revisit those characters. Did you know there is an extract online

    http://www.penguin.com.au/lookinside/spotlight.cfm?SBN=9780670074235&Page=Extract

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adele: YES. MM is amazing.
    Alexa: haha, I'm terrified of authors, I mean they're *authors*! Im just kidding, maybe I will if I can muster up the courage :) thanks for the tip. And yes, Piper's Son...NOW! and yup, I devoured teh extract :o

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*