Saturday, January 29, 2011

Movie Thoughts: The Town

I was originally going to post this as part of 'Movies in My Brain' which will happen in a couple months (!), but I think by then it'll be out of date :p And I will have watched more movies by then, hopefully.

Summary

Basically, there’s this group of friends/bank robbers in Charlestown, Massachusetts. On one of their gigs, they kidnap a bank manager and after some events unfurl, one of the criminals (Affleck) finds himself falling for this girl. He needs to make choices between his life of crime or leaving everything he once knew behind.


My Thoughts

I wasn’t expecting much from this movie despite quite the critical acclaim, I did expect it to predictable and basically like any other action-y movie. I was glad I was wrong, because I thought The Town was an extremely entertaining movie. What I enjoyed was how tightly controlled and reined in scenes were, there weren’t the unnecessary rambling bits or over dramatized romance. What was needed was there, and everything fit well together.

I don’t know the first thing about directing or whatever Ben Affleck is being praised for, but I can just say that this movie is downright enjoyable. I loved the heists taking place, the action scenes, the blossoming ‘romance’ and the acting in general. There wasn’t an actor that didn’t pull his or her weight, everyone’s Boston accents were just lovely :p Also, I especially liked Jeremy Renner’s (he was The Hurt Locker) performance, he can sure pull off the slightly crazy friend.

I liked the ending because it was realistic and well done. Some are going to go down shooting, others are going to jump at the chance to start anew…

Popcorn review: an entertaining and clever action-drama flick that isn’t run of the mill, would definitely recommend if you're in the mood.

9/10

11 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome, might just watch it soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome, might just watch it soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This movie is on my netflix q. happy to hear it's good. yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same reservations about this movie, but I agree, it's really good. I like how you really don't know how it's going to end up. In most movies, you know if the bad guys are going to win or lose, but with this one, I think it could have gone either way. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just watched it last week. It was really good. Totally agree with your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this movie. I think the characters are what made it what it was for me. I tend to love all of Ben's writing ventures and this one was no different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh sounds good and also something the husband and I might both like. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. The plot in this one felt a little over simplified for me. Honestly, I only watched it because my uncle was supposedly an extra. However, it had some good cinematography. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the movie review Audrey! Loved The Hurt Locker. And, I totally want to watch this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, so glad you enjoyed it! I want to watch this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was surprised by this movie myself. The only reason we saw it at the theater (a while back) was because it was the only movie playing that none of us had seen. I think all of us were surprised we liked it.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*