Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday's Finest (4)

Friday's Finest is a new meme hosted by Steff & Justine from A Bookful of Thoughts.

Rules:
~Post a quote that really stuck to you after reading it in a book.
~Make sure it isn't a spoiler!
~If you'd like, expand on what you think it means and why you chose it.

Warning: the quote is barely spoiler-y, I think it's just insightful! I will be writing a review of the book when I have more time :P (I know...excuses excuses!

Book: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
by Sherman Alexie

Quote:
"I used to think the world was broken down by tribes," I said. "By Black and white. By Indian and white. But I know that isn't true. The world is only broken into two tribes: The people who are assholes and the people who are not."

-The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (p.176)

I have a lot of thoughts about this book, and I personally thought it was wonderful: funny, insightful, and still realistic and heartwarming. It tackles serious issues we face each day with a nice twist and sharp sence of humor. It's amazing how Alexie managed to make a wimpy 14 year old boy with a stutter, lisp, and huge nerd glasses seem appealing and absolutely endearing. Absolutely recommend this book.

Now about the quote: What do you think? Like it? Dislike? Also, if you were to hypothetically 'split' the world into two categories, what would they be? (like good people & Death Eaters...lol)

--AyC

No comments:

Post a Comment

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*