Sunday, October 11, 2009

books that Grew on Me

Holy smokes, it's been forever since I've posted anything. I'm so sorry, I guess I just get caught up with school (horrible but true!) and homework, and now sports season is starting so I've got practices, and the list of excuses go on and on. Don't worry, this isn't just a post to tell you I'm sorry for not updating anything, it actually has a point!


As you can tell from the title, this post is dedicated to some books I've recently reread and found I like the that much more the more I read. It's like Harry Potter, I know everybody says they reread it all the time, but you don't understand, a couple years ago (around HP 5/6/7) I was SO obsessed I would always read a few chapters of HP before going to bed, and I would alternate between books, and reread them over and over and over again. I absolutely adored the series, and I still do, I just kicked the rereading habit because I realized there are so many amazing books out there not named Harry Potter. Anyone with this experience?


Anyways, there's been a couple books I've reread, though I'll admit, not front to back, word for word, but rather read large chunks, and I find myself 'absorbing' more and liking the story more and more.


First, theres On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. It's my new HP, I'm not even kidding. It sits on my bedside table and I reread part of it every night, and so many weekend mornings. The more I read, the more I love, and I fall in love with the characters over and over again. I never really dedicated an "actual" review, I made a mini post, but I'll say it again, this is probably one of the best books I have ever read. I think I gave it a 9.4 on that mini review, but (cue the post title) it has totally grown on me the more I read it. In Love. Right now it's a 9.7. I love Taylor, the plot, the writing, everything is executed so gorgeously. And especially since the first time I read it, it was kind of a mystery with a slower beginning and a tad confusing, but since I understand it, my reading experiences just become that much better. Please read it, and not just once. Reread it, and I'll be you will like it more the second time around (and third...).


Second, there's Paper Towns by John Green . Now I really regret giving this a 8.4 (I think) on my very first "review" post, where I read the whole chunk of John Green books. After reading it the first time, I started watching vlogbrothers on youtube, and getting involved with the Nerdfighters, and just recently, I bought a paperback copy of the book to give to a friend for his birthday (I feel it's time to introduce him to the wonderful world of John Green's awsomeness). Of course, being the tacky person I am, I wanted to read the book before giving it away... so I did. And let me tell you, I enjoyed it so much more the second time. I really got more into the story, picked up on the 'inside' jokes (so much awsome!) and generally, I think I understood it a lot more than I did the first time. The themes, the mystery, Q and Margo, it was all much better. Now, It's a 9/10. I'm telling ya, it grew on me!

Third, there's Ballads of Suburbia by Stephanie Kuehnert. I'm gonna keep the rating the same (9.3 is pretty high!) but just wanted to, again, re-recommend it. I felt reading it a second time still made it just as raw, angsty and powerful as the first time, and I hate to repeat this again but I felt I 'absorbed' more. Dude, I'm turning into a freakin sponge!

Well, that's all I have to say for now. In about 10 minutes, I'll be writing another post about some books I've read since my last review, but this time it won't be a mini review, just a title and a rating. Somehow...I have a feeling that that might change :P.

Sorry for being MIA for so long, no promises for future though :(

--AyC



1 comment:

  1. I have to read this asap. They just sound amazing Audrey, you have great taste which is hardly a surprise if I mus say so myself :)

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*