Saturday, September 5, 2009

i'm on a Book Reading frenzy!!

Remember when I promised in my 'Book Review Policy' that I will be reviewing practically every book I read? Well I totally take that back and will be editing that post ASAP. I've been reading a lot of books these past few days, and I haven't posted a review in over a week! I'm so sorry! And realistically, I don't think I'll get around to doing anything other than a tiny post with tiny reviews all crammed together.

I just thought I'd share which books I've read recently since my last review(you may start noticing a pattern...) and a rating. Sorry, I'm too lazy for a summary, or even a link to a summary...sorry again!!

**

Wake - Lisa McMann(6) - sorry, I just really didn't enjoy this one. The writing was choppy and not engaging, the concept was somewhat unique but seriously, the plot I found extremely lacking. The guy and girl had no chemistry (to me) and the guy's secret was, it has to be said, extremely stupid (IMO). Made me angry in fact, felt the author just wanted to make him cooler, but instead, just made him unrealistic and not likable (to me, this will probably differ for you). I'm sorry if I offend anyone with this review.

Blood Promise - Richelle Mead (7.6) - sorry, this was a bit too filler-ish, doesn't compare to the previous books in the VA series. I felt characters were out-of-character, and noticed some inconsistencies. A lot of characters are also unneeded. Did get pretty fed up with Rose at some points, and the parts I looked forward to most were parts from Lissa's POV (which says someting since the book is about Rose)

Perfect Chemistry - Simone Elkeles (8.5) - really romance-y like a Romeo&Juliet, if you like those books with forbidden love, try this one. Hard to put down, about a gang member and perfect-blond-cheerleader falling in love.

On the Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchett (9.6) - eek, one of the best books I've read this summer, it does measure up to all the (little) hype. It won the wholly-deserved Printz Award, and I loved it. I didn't read any previous summaries or reviews wanting to start on a blank page, so it could be a tad confusing at the beginning. I loved the story, the mystery, the sub-plots, and above all, the characters. Jonah reminds me of Parker from Broken Soup, which I liked ;). Really liked Taylor and the way she was so complex and realistic. I might just write an actual review for this book... read it!

Maximum Ride 2 - James Patterson (9) - this has an actual title which I'm too lazy to type out. Actually, no I'm not: it's "School's out- Forever". Great continuation, good action, good adventure, fast-paced, and fun characers. I liked it quite a bit, a very enjoyable read.

Maximum Ride 3 - James Patterson (9) - refer to review above ;) basically the same thoughts. Zoomed through both of them in less than a day. Not enough character development IMO though, but the constant action/adventure/mystery makes up for it.

Maximum Ride 4 - James Patterson (5) - that '5' isn't a mistake, I'm sorry, this one wasn't enjoyable at all. Skip it. Patterson shoves Global Warming down my throat and I hated it and how politically-oriented and out-of-character the book was. I really hope the next one isn't a bust. This one had wayy too little action and adventure.

**
Huh, I think for a few of these books, I might write an actual review. I found as I was writing this, I had a lot more to say, especially for a couple of them, whether it was because I loved or hated it. Oh, and check out my 'Book Review Policy' post (here), I've further explained my ratings, and how you should actually interpret them. I'm down to the last book I covet, which is Ballads of Suburbia (signed copy!) by Stephanie Kuehnert. I'm unbelievably excited to read it, will be soon! I've read too much these past few hours...

Oh, and this post has a bunch of tags, pertaining to the indiviual books, if that makes sense.

--AyC

3 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you on Max Ride 4. Waste of time. I was wondering about Wake. I'll probably skip it now. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm waiting to read Max Ride 5 though, I hope it's not gonna be as big of a letdown.
    thanks for commenting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow. Guess I should read Jellicoe Road, huh? I know you love Marchett, but now I'm hearing so much about her that a book is in order! Library, where are you? ;D

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*