Tuesday, August 18, 2009

my Tags (Explained)

Well, I was looking over my labels, or tags today and I found that it may get a bit confusing, especially when you have so much 'gray area' in some cases. This post is just an explaination of some of the more hazy tags.

Book Review Related:

Romance
As you see, there is NO tags for romance. This is because, the majority of books I read have some aspect of it, therefore, every book would would have this tag. However, the romance amount varies greatly with YA books. For example, Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen revolves a LOT around the romance between Auden and Eli. But then, a novel like The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong revolves more along the adventure, not the romance (even if it's present). It's difficult to judge whether or not the book has enough "romance" to be categorized as "romance"...
I don't want people going in expecting lots of sa-woons, but just being disappointed. I decided to skip this tag completely, but I usually do talk about the romance in my reviews.
If you think this is a bad idea, and want me to tag these books, feel free to leave a comment.

Adventure
This tag will refer more to the protagonist on some sort of quest. Like trying to save someone, fighting someone, or trying to run away, and then getting into all sorts of cool predicaments. A great example of "adventure" is Graceling by Kristen Cashore. Katsa is deffs on an adventure!

Realistic
This one is the post I find quite iffy. To me, and to my tags, "realistic" means the protagonist is a 'regular' teenager, no special powers, no magic, and is trying to get by and 'live life'. Romance can be included in the story, but it's basically non-fantasy/magic. Good example is Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine and Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen.

Summer
This tag is for books that take place in the summer. Either a summer adventure, or just a fun summer romance. It has nothing to do with the 'real life season'. Example is The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen, which features Macy and a summer that changes her.

Fantasy
For me, fantasy means a completely different world with weird creatures, magic, swordfighting, and adventures. NOT something that takes place in 'our world' but with extra powers. My best friend next door hiding her superpower is not fantasy. Think Eragon or Graceling, NOT The Summoning.

Paranormal/Urban Fantasy
This tag is for books where the character is living in OUR WORLD, but has special powers. They can be magical, but live among humans. Also known as "paranormal romance" or "urban fantasy". May or may not include vampires/werewolves. They aren't living in some alien world, or some fantasy world, but rather present time. Think The Summoning, not Vampire Academy.

Futuristic
Another iffy tag. Futuristic is any novel that obviously takes place in the future, whether or not it is some sort of high-tech, robotic world, or if everything is destroyed through war. Both the movie, I, Robot, and the novel, Life as We Knew It, are futuristic, despite vast differences in the state of the 'futuristic world'. Unwind has a world like today, but with a different laws and different medical techniques, thus it is futuristic. The Hunger Games is a LOT different from today, but still in the future. Doesn't matter if it is Post-Apocalyptic, Dystopian, Utopian...just in the future.

Vampires
Yes, they have their own category. To many vamp books these days. The vamps' characteristics don't matter, whether they're sparkly or suck blood, they are still called vampires.

Classic
These are the novels written a long time ago, usually you're forced to read in schoo..hehe. Doesn't include modern novels that are 'destined' to be classics, just books that are OLD. BTW, To Kill A Mockingbird is a classic to me. Think Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice.


Non-Book Review Related:
Music
These tags refer to posts that talk about music. It is generally a post that talks about my favorite songs or artists at the moment. Sometimes, I will include music recommendations at the end of a book review as a PS.
My Life
Just what it says. Nothing to do with books, just about my good-ol boring life, perhaps some happy event, or one that makes me mad and I just wanna rant.
***
If I use other confusing tags, I will probably add it to the list. If you have any questions, leave a comment below and I'll try to clear it up. Suggestions or feedbacks? Comment or email me.
--AyC

No comments:

Post a Comment

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*