Friday, July 10, 2009

BR: The Chosen One

by Carol Lynch Williams

Okay, two books later, and a bit calmer, I've decided to write this book review.

The novel is about a 13 year old girl, Kyra, who lives on a compound where polygamy (multiple wives for a man, etc) is practiced. Informed she is to marry her 60 year old abusive uncle, Kyra is devastated. She tries her best to get out of it, and the book illustrates her struggles involving her life, and her family which she loves. She fights and wonders about her beliefs and way of life as well.

During the story, Kyra has developed different relationships, from Jonathan, her crush, to Patrick, the mobile-library man which she secretly borrows books from.

I'm not sure what else to write as a summary, but it's basically about Kyra's struggle with her beliefs and how she wants to live her life. Marrying your 60+ year old uncle who is known to "break in" his wives isn't very appealing either.

One thing I liked was the writing style Williams used. Since Kyra is narrating, and since she isn't very well educated, the writing really reflects her. Sentence fragments, thoughts, worries, and struggles are written very well through a mind of a 13 year old girl, dealing with 'her world', and the 'real world'.

I also liked Kyra, the protagonist, because she is a strong, brave character. She's willing to fight against something she believes is wrong, or something that she refuses to do. She won't just give in because the "Prophet" told her to. She risks a great deal for herself, including getting her crush and father into trouble. I could definitely sympathize (not understand, because I obviously have never been in her situation) with how she couldn't decide whether to throw her own life away to save her family from punishment, or save herself.

I'm not sure why, but I didn't love this book, it was just okay. The themes of polygamy was different from things I usually read, and the writing style was pretty good too. Maybe it was because I was in a bad mood at the time, I kind of regret buying it.

7/10- because I don't know why, but it was just averagish for me. Didn't love it, but liked the character and writing style. There wasn't that many other things to like, but the conflict was unique and drove the story.

Also, I apologize for this not-so-good review, I just don't have much to say. I just finished another book, and will review it tomorrow, I think I'll have lots to say on that one. Again, any comments would be nice :)

--AyC

No comments:

Post a Comment

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*