Friday, July 24, 2009

BR: The Awakening (2nd Darkest Powers novel)


by Kelley Armstrong

I looked all over the internet for this book (because, of course, I'm impatient as heck), and then I found it at one of the most 'obvious' websites to look for ebooks. Completely legal, too easy, but I still missed it... my bad.

Well, this is the second installment of the Darkest Powers trilogy, following The Summoning (read my review here). I'll try not to include that many spoilers in this review. And because of that, this review will be exceptionally short.
The Awakening takes place immediately after the end of the first novel, so I felt as if I didn't really miss a thing. Chloe isn't sure of her powers, and the extent of her control over them, so she gets some unpleasant surprises throughout the novel relating to the dead people she may have accidentally summoned. Chloe, Simon, and Derek are joined unexpectedly on their escape.

That has to be the lamest summary I have ever written, because I feel if I include other stuff, it will spoil the first book for people who haven't read it. Anyways, apart from a despicable summary, I have lots of good things to say about the book. For one, I felt it was fast-paced, and a great follow-up novel. Chloe was as 'realistic' as a necromancer could be, and I liked all of the character developments. Especially Derek, since he could completely annoy me at one time, but surprise me the next. The plot was interesting, and not plain at all.

The ending was great, another nice action scene that I feel will start off the last book very well. I liked this book, but I didn't really love it. I took countless breaks from reading it, but I'm not sure why. I wish there was a bit more "discovery" and a bit less "running". I'm not sure how Kelley Armstrong is gonna be able to tie up all the loose ends in just one more novel.

8.5/10 - because even though I enjoyed reading it, I wasn't "captivated" by it, and couldn't read it continuously. There could have been a bit more character development, especially with the minor characters. I'm interested about Chloe's romance storyline will go next novel ;) If you read The Summoning, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this one as well. I think people who enjoy supernatural novels will enjoy this series.

Since my own summary and review is so bad, here's a link to another review at Bookworm4life: The Awakening Review. Check it out!

--AyC

No comments:

Post a Comment

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*